Macbook Pros for High School Graduates

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neoelectronaut, May 8, 2006.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Alrighty, I need lots of people's opinion this one, so here we go.

A few months back, my cousin talked to me about his interest in getting a laptop for college, as he's graduating this month. He originally wanted an iBook, but couldn't get what he wanted for the price, so, somehow he bumped up to a 15" Macbook Pro. I work at CompUSA so I'm going to help him a bit with purchases, but basically, besides the computer, I'm looking for reccomendations on software he'll need, printers, etc.

I assume we're looking at the MBP, Applecare, Office, a case...and?

Also, my aunt just called up, and her daughter wants "Whatever Matthew is getting." so that's two Macbook Pros between two cousins. What would she need, also? (And my aunt it's buying my iPod Nano for her--thank god I can finally unload the thing.)

So, assistance.
  2. Badandy macrumors 68040

Sep 29, 2005
    If you are going for a 15"MBP I would suggest a few things.

-I have never gotten extended warranties/applecare on ANYTHING, and it has never been a problem. Seems like a waste if you are careful with your computer.

-Get them a 1 GB USB ThumbDrive (can be had for about 40 bucks some places) so they can transfer stuff in an emergency and just backup all their school files

-Case and maybe a Timbuk2 messenger bag for college. I have a Swiss Army Victorinox bag and it is great, I love it

-For printers I HIGHLY recommend the HP LaserJet 1012. It is a black and white laser jet that is very small and can be had for about 100-150 dollars. The great thing about it is that it only takes 8 seconds from turning it on to get the first page out, great for quick print jobs where you are late or need to move.

Ya, that's pretty much it...
  3. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2006
    Maybe a mouse. I have an iBook, and I can't stand just using the trackpad.

Maybe some speakers. Laptop speakers are awful, and most college kids like listening to music. There are some cheap speakers out there btw, I got mine for $10.

Hmm I don't think I have a lick of software that isn't freeware or included on the mac...

He'll need a Cat5 cable, too.

The Thumbdrive is a good idea to back things up. They work with PCs so you can run to a computer lab if you're in an emergency and print stuff off.
  4. Mernak macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2006
    Kirkland, WA
    agreed with the applecare, i have it, but i never use it and anyways, you can buy it within the first year so no need to spend the money right now. A USB drive is nice(have 3 myself) but i doubt they will use the 1 GB unless you can find one really cheap i would suggest 256 or 512( i have a 2 32MB, and a 128MB). i dont know about Office, it is useful but its expensive, I use NeoOffice and it has basically the exact same things as Office(I have both and i still use NeoOffice), if nothing else, try it out over the summer and if you dont like it then get Office.
  5. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2006
    I would def. reccomend applecare. Computers have a bad habit of breaking, even macs. If you dont want to get it now, get it a year down the road, as theres no sense in getting something you dont need. (Standard warranty is 1 year. Applecare covers 3 years total from date of purchase)
  6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    I would sugguest Applecare for any laptop, just because laptops have a tendancy to break.

Speakers are nice, but they can be added on later. Some sort of case or sleave would be good though. Perhaps some blank DVD's...honestly the only thing that you really NEED to get when you get the macbook is a case of some sort. Everything else can be purchased afterwards.
  7. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005
    I would suggest for that USB flash drive.

They have, at last check, two or more 1 GIG models for only 30 bucks! :D
  8. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Dec 23, 2004
    Charleston, IL
    Why not wait for the MacBooks?
    I agree with the AppleCare because it's better to be safe than sorry. I also agree with the jump drive....possibly even a 512 Shuffle (intended for jump drive use).
  9. Badandy macrumors 68040

Sep 29, 2005
    Get a 1 GB drive just in case. What are you going to save, 10 bucks by getting a way smaller denomination of that?

Anyway, I just suggest what I said at the second post in this thread, that is really a complete setup. You have the messenger bag for portability of the computer and for some books, maybe add a neoprene case for extra protection, and then the stuff I just said. I find that those things are perfect.

Maybe get some iKlear polish for the MBP, I love that stuff for my powerbook...
  10. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

Aug 8, 2004
    America's Wang
    I would suggest Apple Care, but like others have stated, it can be purchased within anytime in the first year. Also, the suggestion of getting a 512 Mb or 1 Gb Shuffle instead of of thumb drive is really good advice.

I have been using a 512 Mb Shuffle lately as my 4G iPod's hard drive died. It is phenomenal for school for its dual use as a thumb drive and as a .mp3 player. Also, it is more durable than any other iPod. I don't have a case or anything on mine.

Also, on cases and sleeves, I would suggest getting a case and sleeve combo for traveling.

I like ones by Booq, Acmemade, Crumpler, etc. You can look for reviews of bags on this site.
  11. EricChunky macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2006
    damn... why high school grads needs MacBook Pro...
    do they need to use Aperture/FinalCut Pro to work on their pictures/videos that just snapped by their handy little camera phone?

i'm jealous. i have to admit.:(
  12. sirius1722 macrumors member

Dec 30, 2004
    Seattle-area, WA
    A few things I would recommend:

- Definitely a case or sleeve for it. I would recommend the Shinza Zeroshock sleeve. It protects well and you can just throw the MBP into any backpack like I do.

- Microsoft Office Student Edition. A necessary evil in the school/corporate world

- As for Applecare...well you have a year to add it, and I guess if you can afford it, its better to be safe than sorry somewhere down the line, especially with early revision hardware.

- Maybe some more RAM? Makes all the difference if they're power users. 1GB from Crucial is ~$165 shipped.

-Definitely a thumb drive. I find mine immensely useful for transferring files from computer to computer should I need to.

- Speakers are nice, but if they are going to college and with a roommate and that whole thing, a good pair of headphones might be better.
  13. wmmk macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2006
    The Library.
    No, silly, he's using CS2 and top of the line Avid stuff:rolleyes:
  14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    Sometimes I wish I had an all in one, printer, scanner, copier.....
  15. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2005
    Akron, OH
    DON'T FORGET TO USE THE ADC STUDENT HARDWARE DISCOUNT! Try HERE and click on ADC Hardware Purchase Program Store and for more information go here
    A Picture tells a thousand words, so...
  16. matperk macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Actually, I'm a soon to be HS grad who just got my first mac (MBP) and I've already used it to edit 3 video projects. 2 of them done in FCP. I use CS2 quite frequently and render at least 2 DVD projects per week.

Some High School kids do use the power. :D
  17. mccldwll macrumors 65816

Jan 26, 2006
    Wait a couple of months. Revisions and price drops. May be better to buy bundled through college bookstore--often includes Office and four years (not 3) of warranty/support.
  18. neoelectronaut thread starter macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2003
    Southeastern Louisiana
    Because the male cousin wants to get into video editing later on, so he decided on the Pro rather than the iBook.

And as for the female cousin, she said "I want whatever Matthew is getting." And, her mothing being a doctor, she gets what she wants.

Besides, how am I supposed to tell them to wait for the Macbooks when I have ***** idea when they'll be available?
  19. gerbilbox macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2003
    Macbook Pros for High School Graduates

I recommend AppleCare for any laptop, I've bought it and had to use it. It has little to do with being careful (I babied my PowerBook the first year). It gives you an extended warranty for manufacturing defects that pop up later, as it happened in my case.

For the fellow who suggested NeoOffice in-lieu of MS Office, there's no Universal Binary for it yet, and it currently doesn't run on in Rosetta. The NeoOffice project reported back in January that they'll have a Universal Binary in the summer, but that's not a guarentee. MS Office is a necessary evil, but NeoOffice is one of the reasons (of many) I'm holding out from buying a new MacBook (Pro).

There used to be a product on LapBottom, but I believe the company folded. It lets me rest my warm PowerBook comfortabily on my lap without worries of being too hot. Plus, the bottom of the pad is soft, much more comfortable than the hard metal bottom of a computer. There may be other companies making similar products now, I highly recommend something like the LapBottom!
  20. jhorowitz macrumors newbie

May 7, 2006
    mountain view, ca
    Well, a printer's not really necessary if you're on a tight budget. Most college campuses offer free printing for students at the computer lab, or students often share printers. But if you're not already over budget after the pricey macbook pro, then definitely go for a nice laser printer. It'll make life a lot easier. Good luck!

21. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I used the power in highschool four years ago. I would imagine quite a few more people do now. Back when I started PowerPoints, iMovies, and page layouts they weren't necessarily commonplace.
  22. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    My opinion on the laser printer is divided. Sometimes I'd love to have one for its high volume black text capability, but then I'd really miss being able to print color documents and the occasional photo. So you'd end up buying a second printer (an inkjet of some sort), which'll set you back another $100 at least! Color lasers are very nice, but very expensive and usually can't compete with the inkjets on quality for images.

As far as other stuff goes, I know I find a good comfy set of headphones great. I can listen to my music anytime without bothering the rest of the world. You could settle for the ipod earbuds but when listening for extended periods I'd really go for some "over-ear" type models.
  23. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH
    hs grad

id honestly suggest waiting until this summer when the student union deal comes about for the mbps... thats jsut me tho...
  24. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2005
    Do you need to be a developer to use this? Is this similar to the Education Store? Those are some pretty nice discounts ;)
  25. Moe macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2003
    If the universities they attend have a Microsoft Campus License, you don't need to buy them Office.