Macbook Pros go for as low as 1800$ on B&H!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by odedia, Oct 1, 2006.

1. odedia macrumors 6502a

2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Nice find. $300 difference on the base price is quite big as most of Apple 3rd party retailers' pricing is very similar to what Apple Stores sell for.
    Given the recent comment by Intel that their close cooperation on the product development with Apple was MBP, some updates on MBP may be in the works.

3. Bongolo macrumors regular

I also noticed in London yesterday that "Micro Anvica" had a sale on the MBP range and was sold out of 15" ... Maybe an update Tuesday!?! :)D)

4. odedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

you can have a maxed out 17" MBP for 2650$, including 2GB RAM. Cool...

5. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I can't find B&H Photo listed as an Authorized Apple Reseller. Given that, these may well be grey market computers and have no warranty.

6. odedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOL, don't worry about that my friend. B&H is the world's largest photography and video store. They are located in manhhatan, and have a HUGE complex next to maddison square garden. They are the most reliable source for all photo/video stuff, for over 30 years. I bought from them many times.

See link

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...r.jsp&A=getpage&Q=HelpCenter/NYSuperStore.jsp

Plus, I remember clearly that they are authorized dealers.

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

B&H sells grey market products all of the time, but they are always clearly marked as such on the website. So, rdowns has a valid point. It's something to look out for.

See this picture, for example. The grey market is quite a bit cheaper.

[​IMG]

Your link to the MBPs looks legit, however, and a good deal. Hopefully this is a sign of new things to come.

9. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

## It would surprise me if B&H wasn't an authorized dealer for Apple....cuz they are a VERY legit place to buy gear. No worries when buying from B&H.

10. levitynyc macrumors 65816

I have bought several TV's from B and H. They are often hundreds less than best buy. I buy all of my large electronics purchases from B and H. Their store is huge. They actually have salespeople who know what they are talking about.

They are 100% reputable and I give them my highest recommendation.

11. Bongolo macrumors regular

From MacBidouille! :)

12. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Hm, $1 more than the EDU price of $1799 for the low-end MBP!

For people who don't qualify for the EDU discount, this is good deal. B&H is very reliable.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes, B&H sells grey market stuff sometimes, and yes, it's clearly labelled.

However, how does any store sell a "grey market" Apple product? I don't even think it's possible given Apple's control over distribution. And grey market items don't come with warranties, while Apple computers come with a Worldwide warranty, so even if these were imported from somewhere that sells Macs cheaper than the US (and there aren't any places like that), the warranty would still technically be valid.

I could (easily) be mistaken, but that's my 2 Canadian cents. ;)

14. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Are you guys talking about the fact that its imported making it grey market? I am just curious.

15. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

16. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

I totally agree. There is no better retailer, IMHO, than B&H. They are the smartest business people I've ever dealt with, and take an excellent long-term view of business. Of course, they're quite observant in their judaism, so don't try shopping on friday afternoon, or saturday, or every other week (it seems) in autumn.

17. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Absolutely, they are all of the Jewish faith. They are such nice people. They know who and how to talk to people. They know not to be overly technical with someone who doesn't know their stuff. They also know when they run into someone like me, to be as technical as possible.

They all know their stuff.

I bought my 32" Samsung LCD TV for 400 less than in best buy. My folks (on my recommendation) went in there and saved 200 on a 23" LCD. They were also more than willing to help in getting them the correct wall stand to set it up. They asked him questions about the room and the normal angle of viewing. I mention this because he COULD have sold my father the stand that lets you extend the TV away from the wall instead of just flat against it. Based on the viewing angles and the room, he sold my father the less expensive device. Like I said, honest salesman.

They are not just run of the mill salesman like you see in Best Buy. If Amazon.com doesn't have it at the best price, then B and H does.

Before Rangers games I always pass by and check out their stuff. Its all brand new and factory guaranteed.

I know I am rambling, but I just want wanted to reinterate that if you want to save money on electronics (including macs) then go to B and H Photo without hesitation or reservation.

18. shecky Guest

shecky

i concur, B+H is one of the few truly reputable retailers left. i have not been in the store in manhattan in a long time ( but i remember it had some kind of weird thing where you pay then go to another window to actually take your item, even if it is small like a camera) but i have bought a lot of stuff from them online from film to expensive photo equipment. they have always been very fast and very reliable.

19. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Yeah, they've got a multi window set-up. They even have seperate cash and credit windows. I think it allows them to keep the cash (at the cash counters) and the merch totally secure. They also have some of the most advanced in-store security I've ever seen. They've got large parabolic microphones mounted on the ceilngs near the cash registers. I guess you keep yourself nice and secure when you move millions of high end camera equipment a week.

I wish it was a public company. I'd invest immediately.

20. odedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't forget that B&H don't charge tax outside of NY. The price different is actually higher.

21. odedia thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't call an imported item something that is "grey market". selling second-hand gear as new - that's grey market for me. Many people might prefer imported gear over american gear. For example, I'm always looking for PAL camcorders instead of american NTSC camcorders since that's the broadcasting format here. This doesn't make the item a grey market item - it's still brand new with warranty.

22. MattDell macrumors 6502

MattDell

B&H has had MBPs at $1800 for nearly a month. I wouldn't consider it any sign of new things.

-Matt

23. YoNeX macrumors regular

YoNeX

My school is offering MBP (base) for $1599, but the bad thing is you get the CA tax. Actually, the Apple merchandise in general are pretty good deals.

Attached Files: