Macbook Purchasing options

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by westwood, May 22, 2006.

1. westwood macrumors newbie

Sorry if my question/post is stupid but i'm new to laptops and I am considering buying the MacBook. I'm a 3rd year university student in California and want to try avoiding paying the 8.25% sales tax. The student discount is less than 10% off so I was thinking about purchasing it through Amazon (same price after the 100 dollar rebate). My queston is, if I do purchase the MB through Amazon and there happens to be a problem when i receive it, would I be able to take it in to a local Apple store to have it fixed or would i have to send it back to Amazon? I would rather have the convenience of being able to have any problems looked at/taken care of in person at an Apple store rather than having to deal with mailing it back to Amazon. Since this is my first laptop (and apple for that matter), this will be my first experience with purchasing online (i built my computer i'm currently using myself).

By the way, i was planning on getting the black MB. The black seems very sleek and in my opinion nicer than the white ones. When i went to the Apple store the other day the black ones also didnt show any scratching even when i tried a little bit with my finger nail as opposed to the glossy cover on the white ones that showed scratches just like my ipod.

2. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

If you have a problem and it requires returning the MacBook, then of course, you have to deal with Amazon. But all Macs are serviced at the Apple Store. Amazon is just the place you bought it. :)

I agree, the black is awesome! I'm a bit partial, though (see avatar). :D