Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PLuke-gb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
Hi guys.

I have several questions, I am new to MAC so hold on!

I have seen the 2016 Pro is due out with a GeForce GPU? Is it worth waiting for the 2016 model?

How well do they play games, I know it's not a gaming machine! But I would like to play the odd game, something like Battlefield 4?

The SSD can be upgrading from the 125gb with a SSD card at a later stage?

Many thanks
Luke

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Hi guys.

I have several questions, I am new to MAC so hold on!

I have seen the 2016 Pro is due out with a GeForce GPU? Is it worth waiting for the 2016 model?

How well do they play games, I know it's not a gaming machine! But I would like to play the odd game, something like Battlefield 4?

The SSD can be upgrading from the 125gb with a SSD card at a later stage?

Many thanks
Luke
There is no confirmed release date for anything at the moment.

Gaming is on on the current dgpu

The ssd cannot currently be upgraded.

PLuke-gb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
There is no confirmed release date for anything at the moment.

Gaming is on on the current dgpu

The ssd cannot currently be upgraded.

No date yet, which makes me wonder if it's worth waiting for, but if the release isn't until March 2016 that's a long way!

Can the current GPU play games ok? battlefield 4 and the likes?

So I couldn't buy a SSD card to add to the 128gb?

Thanks

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
1. First a new MBP is likely to happen in Q1 of 2016 but there is no confirmed date.
2. It has not been confirmed that it will have an NVidia GPU
3. You "COULD" add a 128GB SSD card but its not optimal. Meaning you would not want to load games on it. Its max read speed would be around 95MBps if you got a class 10, but the write speed would be much slower than that. It would be ok for photo or even music storage but the life span of an SSD card has always been pretty low for me. You would want to get something more substantial like the Samsung external SSD drive. Its super small and USB powered and very fast. you can get at 256GB for $127 or 500GB for $197 or go all out and get a 1TB for $397. Western digital makes external platter drives that go up to 2TB for under $100 but they are twice the size and not SSD speed. But work pretty well.
4. The Current GPU in the 15in can play any game right now. I've been playing GTA V and MGS5 as of late with no issues. However, I have been playing MGS5 at 720p and low settings and GTA V and just below 1080p at medium settings. Both look amazing but don't expect to run retina even with what ever the new MBP will have. The MBP can play games even the newest ones if you get the one with a GPU but its not a gaming laptop. If that is an issue or you will mostly be playing games on it consider a gaming laptop or desktop if you not that mobile. For myself I have a gaming desktop at home for all my gaming needs and a few titles on my MBP for when I want to play while I'm out.

PLuke-gb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
1. First a new MBP is likely to happen in Q1 of 2016 but there is no confirmed date.
2. It has not been confirmed that it will have an NVidia GPU
3. You "COULD" add a 128GB SSD card but its not optimal. Meaning you would not want to load games on it. Its max read speed would be around 95MBps if you got a class 10, but the write speed would be much slower than that. It would be ok for photo or even music storage but the life span of an SSD card has always been pretty low for me. You would want to get something more substantial like the Samsung external SSD drive. Its super small and USB powered and very fast. you can get at 256GB for $127 or 500GB for $197 or go all out and get a 1TB for $397. Western digital makes external platter drives that go up to 2TB for under $100 but they are twice the size and not SSD speed. But work pretty well.
4. The Current GPU in the 15in can play any game right now. I've been playing GTA V and MGS5 as of late with no issues. However, I have been playing MGS5 at 720p and low settings and GTA V and just below 1080p at medium settings. Both look amazing but don't expect to run retina even with what ever the new MBP will have. The MBP can play games even the newest ones if you get the one with a GPU but its not a gaming laptop. If that is an issue or you will mostly be playing games on it consider a gaming laptop or desktop if you not that mobile. For myself I have a gaming desktop at home for all my gaming needs and a few titles on my MBP for when I want to play while I'm out.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Could I load and hold pictures on the "added" SSD card for my pictures, as that's where I am guessing most space will be taken up.

Or could I upload my pictures to iCloud and view them that way easily?

It wouldn't really be used for gaming, the odd game here and there, nothing to call "gaming"

I am guessing the 13 vs 15 MBP there isn't any difference hardware spec?

Luke.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Could I load and hold pictures on the "added" SSD card for my pictures, as that's where I am guessing most space will be taken up.

Or could I upload my pictures to iCloud and view them that way easily?

You can store whatever you want on the SD card, it just isn't going to be as fast as the internal SSD. I suggest buying the capacity you need now so you don't have to worry about it later.

I am guessing the 13 vs 15 MBP there isn't any difference hardware spec?

The 13" model only has dual core CPUs and isn't available with a dGPU.

PLuke-gb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2015
You can store whatever you want on the SD card, it just isn't going to be as fast as the internal SSD. I suggest buying the capacity you need now so you don't have to worry about it later.

The 13" model only has dual core CPUs and isn't available with a dGPU.

I think you might be correct with the SSD capacity.

The 13" isn't as good then.

Luke

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
The 13 is a good laptop but as with everything you want the right tool for the job. If a dual core CPU with Intel graphics is good enough then get the 13in. If you need a quad core CPU with slightly faster Intel graphics, get the entry level 15in inch. If you need a dedicated GPU then get the mid level 15in inch.

For photos it really depends on how many photos you have in terms of file size. A lot of people think they have 5k photos so it much be taking tones of space when its probably around 2GB. iCloud photo can be a great recourse as its on the cloud and you can get it anywhere you have wifi. But if you don't have wifi then you wont see your photos.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
A lot of people think they have 5k photos so it much be taking tones of space when its probably around 2GB

5k photos, that's about 120 GB from my camera :D So yeah, it really depends.

Can the current GPU play games ok? battlefield 4 and the likes?

So I couldn't buy a SSD card to add to the 128gb?

If you're thinking about playing games, you'll need a Windows partition (maybe 50+ GB for the OS itself and several games). 256 GB SSD is a MUST!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.