Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
iamhammill said:
Has anyone had any experience with the EconoRam from Data Memory Systems?
Only $184 for 2GB, says it has a year warrenty.
Thanks,
Jake
DMS tells us that they have shipped over a thousand of these and have had only 4 DOAs - that's a very good result - normally, even the best RAM is around 1% DOA. Obviously, you are trading the lifetime warranty in on a lower purchase price, but these EconoRAM modules are tested for compatibility in Macs, and DMS is a good, Mac-based company.

iamhammill

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
York, PA
Thanks for the quick response CanadaRAM.

Seems like my choices now are OWC (~$240), EconoRam (~$190) or the Patriot Memory (~$175).

Think I might just bite the bullet and get the OWC. The EconoRAM is tempting, but I'm worried about the warrenty. Patriot Memory is a long shot, since it's from Newegg and I've heard some horror stories about RAM from Newegg.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Has anyone had any real world experience with the OWC 2x1GB sticks in the Macbook?

I plan on buying a 100gig 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar from them for my Macbook, so it would be easier to purchase both items(RAM + HD) from the same company.

My only concern is that i had some trouble with OWC RAM in the past. I returned 3 1GB sticks for my TiPB (all caused kernal panics) before i gave up hope on them. However their price is reasonable ($225 USD).

I cant even find Macbook RAM on DMS (who i would rather do business with). Anyone have a link or am i just blind?

oclor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
I have been doing a lot of research and found out that the patriot RAM on newegg might not work on the macbook. If you go to the patriot site, you will find (under their signiture line) that they have memory specifically for the macbook and that is not the same as the one on new egg. The macbook memory will run you around $300 for 2gig from there.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
iamhammill said:
Thanks for the quick response CanadaRAM.

Seems like my choices now are OWC (~$240), EconoRam (~$190) or the Patriot Memory (~$175).

Think I might just bite the bullet and get the OWC. The EconoRAM is tempting, but I'm worried about the warrenty. Patriot Memory is a long shot, since it's from Newegg and I've heard some horror stories about RAM from Newegg.
Or the DMS Certified RAM at US$238

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Dave3215 said:
I’m not really sure if this is the type (A-DATA, sounds reputable enough), but its very cheap on eBay in the UK at the moment. Anyway, here is the manufacturers page:

http://www.adata.com.tw/adata_en/product_detail.php?ProductNo=77

And here it is on eBay UK:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1GB-ADATA-DDR...882112735QQcategoryZ80201QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
OK, you saw the part about it ships from Hong Kong, right? And that the "No VAT" in the description is deceptive, 'coz you will be hit with VAT and any additional duties and customs brokerage when it arrives at the border. Oh, and gooood luck getting any warranty service. Shipping and clearing will cost you more than the part.

Why would anyone buy unknown, unsupportable RAM on eBay to put into their brand new Mac?? I am completely foxed by that concept.

tristan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2003
high-rise in beautiful bethesda
Getiing RAM off of ebay doesn't sound like a great idea. It reminds me of when my "friend" a few years ago gave me six 64 meg RAM modules his company had lying around and four of them turned out bad. (Found through trial and error of course.)

Dave3215

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2006
Ok I see that now, it’s just that everything is so expensive in Brittan that it looked tempting. It will be cheaper to order 2X1GB RAM modules from the US than buy here.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
CanadaRAM said:
There is a difference -- I would say not Much of a difference. But havingMORE memory trumps having MATCHED memory, because the negative effects of overflowing your physical memory size and starting to pageout to the hard drive is worse.
Yes, a HD operating at 50-75 MB/s is drastically slower than PC2-5300 in single/dual channel mode.

ncook06

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
iamhammill said:
The EconoRAM is tempting, but I'm worried about the warrenty.

EconoRAM still has a 1-year warranty. If the problem is not user related (like static, voiding the waranty - even a lifetime warranty), it will probably show up within a couple months.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
iamhammill said:
Patriot Memory is a long shot, since it's from Newegg and I've heard some horror stories about RAM from Newegg.
??
Newegg is practically the only place (short of buying straight from the company's site) that I buy RAM...works all the time as long as you don't go for the cheapo (like Patriot) memory..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.