Macbook RAM on iBookG4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by macdatadrive, Apr 29, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I have some original RAM from the Original MacBook. Could I use this in an iBook G4?
    Wanna keep the old thing alive.
    Thanks!

2. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Nope, sorry. The iBook G4 uses PC-333 laptop RAM (IIRC, I sold my iBook G4 1GB RAM stick to a user on here) while the MacBook uses either DDR2 (PC2-8500) RAM. Plus, the physical pin layout on MacBook RAM is different than the physical pin layout on iBook RAM.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Oh well...

Oh well. Guess it's 256mb for this old thing. Thanks anyway. Could I use a MacBook Hard Drive?

4. macrumors 68020

Also no. iBook HDDs are IDE, and MacBooks (back to 1,1) use SATA, unless there's room for an adaptor or something.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Oh well... AGAIN

Well that's two bits of bad news in one day. Oh well... it'll have to make do.

6. macrumors regular

You can use your MacBook's HD, just not as an internal... only an external.

If you have a proper enclosure (Remember, MacBook HDs are SATA, iBooks are IDE!) you can use it over USB or FireWire.

As for RAM, though, you're out of luck. Gotta grab up a 1GB stick of DDR, which is unfortunately expensive. A 512 would also help, in a pinch.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks... but

How can I connect it as an external drive?

8. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Awww :( I sold my old 1GB iBook DDR RAM for $27 on here to a user... Whatever.. The iBook doesn't get any use, so it's kind of "free money" for me.

Also to connect a MacBook HDD externally, you would have to get an enclosure, like this one. It has both FireWire and USB, so you can boot off of it. PowerPC Macs, such as your iBook could only boot off of FireWire.

9. macrumors regular

27's a pretty good deal! It looks like it'll set me back 41.99 from OWC, if I decide to buy it there... going to scope around and see if there's anything cheaper, first. (Hell, I only have 768MB thanks to my old laptop using the same RAM as the iBook...)