Macbook RAM: Patriot vs. OWC (2gb)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nweeks14, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Nweeks14 macrumors newbie

Nweeks14

Hey guys, I have a white 2 ghz macbook model and like most people want to do a ram upgrade. I am a macrumors newbie but I have been floating around on these forums for weeks new looking for the best ram opinions but have not seen these two brands heads up comparison. The thing is I can get the patriot 170 shipped from newegg and ive read all the reviews from them saying it works good but is it worth going for the OWC kit which I believe is in the ballpark of 225? The main upgrade Ive heard is the customer service and reliability but what are the real advantages for those who would go OWC? Both have the same speed and lifetime warranrty. Anyways, just wanted some mac experts opinions before I make the big purchase. Thanks.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The primary difference is that OWC guarantees compatibility, NewEgg doesn't.
    If you want to take the chance and do your own testing, you can try generic PC RAM.

If you don't want the uncertainty, and the time, effort, shipping expenses and possible restocking charges, then buy from a reputable dealer who
    Guarantees compatibility with your model Mac
    Offers a lifetime warranty and
    Offers a no-cost return if it doesn't work

MR readers in the USA most often recommend Crucial, OWC and Data Memory Systems

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com