Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
When I get my macbook soon I want to upgrade the ram to at least 1GB, and I wanted to know what configuration would be best? Upgrading on apple's site to one gig (512 x 2) or buy a one gig stick to replace one of the 256MB sticks (1GB x 1, 256MB x 1; 1.25GB total)? Which would offer best performance? I'm asking because I keep hearing that dual channel is better, and then I hear that it doesn't matter. I just want the most bang for my buck.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Hi Bill

Welcome to MR

Don't forget to search the forum before starting a new thread with a question - we have covered this several times in the last two days

I'm just gonna copy and paste

On the intel Macs, the machine will utilize dual channel mode of the memory buss when you have matching chips. This gives a small but real speed increase. However, the performance hit you suffer from not having enough RAM is much greater, so more total RAM trumps matched RAM.

1 Gb is the minimum for decent performance, if you are using professional apps under Rosetta, you will want 1.5 to 2 Gb RAM.

So get the 1 Gb module now, and upgrade it to 2 Gb when finances allow.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.