Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elhammond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have gotten two different kinds of RAM from two different places to upgrade my MacBook's RAM from 512MB to 2GB. After I installed both, my MacBook started to shut down randomly (panic sets in riiiiight....now) When I put my old RAM back in, the RAM that came with my MacBook, it works fine. Has anybody else had this? Is it the RAM or the logic board I have heard about? If I leave the 3rd party RAM in will Applecare even look at my machine? Or with they just say "It's the RAM"? Please somebody help a guy new to Mac. This is my first one and other than the discoloration and this random shut down thing, I absolutely love it.

Peace and thanks,
Eric

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
what does it do when it shutds down? does it freeze up then go black, or does it just die instantly?

If you've tested it with the origial RAM, logic tells me its a RAM problem. But the extra RAM may have caused some more heat, putting more stress on the heatsink, which Apple has found to be faulty.

elhammond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Scarlet Fever said:
what does it do when it shutds down? does it freeze up then go black, or does it just die instantly?

If you've tested it with the origial RAM, logic tells me its a RAM problem. But the extra RAM may have caused some more heat, putting more stress on the heatsink, which Apple has found to be faulty.

It just shuts completely off and dies instantly.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
It sounds like incompatible RAM, if the problem only occurrs with the new stuff you bought but it all works fine with the original.

elhammond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Cole Slaw said:
It sounds like incompatible RAM, if the problem only occurrs with the new stuff you bought but it all works fine with the original.

I was thinking that would be very unlikely because I got 2 different types from 2 different places, but it sounds like you are right. I just want it to work! Anybody else have an opinion?

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Indeed, buy Apple (or at least brand name) certified/tested ram next time. It will save you the hassle.

What timings do the two sticks of ram have?

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
When I called applecare about the random shutdowns on my machine, they had me run a test to check the memory, (i think you hold "d" during bootup) and the test said the memory was fine. so now i've got to send it in....:(

i also upgraded the RAM myself, and am wondering if i should switch it back to the original before i send it in, or what. i thought i read somewhere that it doesn't void the warranty if you upgrade yourself, but i'm not sure....

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
i've had the same problem with random shutdowns but with mine it occurs even with the stock apple ram. i recently installed a program this morning called smcFanControl http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/index.html which regulates the speed of the fan and haven't had a shut down all day. i went to my apple store about a month ago and they said that it's a logic board and heat sink problem and they could have it fixed in a few days. But since i need it for college I'm waiting for some down time when i don't need it....which is likely to be thanksgiving :(

elhammond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
CanadaRAM said:
Nothing obvious out of order with that, unless you just got monstrously unlucky and got 2 defective module out of 4, neatly spaced in 2 pairs.

So do you think I should try getting one more set of RAM until I send it in to applecare?

elhammond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Is there anyway to tell the Apple Genuis that I have tried installing multiple 3rd party sets of RAM and all of them don't work. Then the Genuis says it's a faulty machine not the RAM. Or will they just say it's the RAM? I know I have to put the original RAM back in to take it back to the Apple Store.

E

bill4588

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2006
Kennesaw, GA
elhammond said:
Is there anyway to tell the Apple Genuis that I have tried installing multiple 3rd party sets of RAM and all of them don't work. Then the Genuis says it's a faulty machine not the RAM. Or will they just say it's the RAM? I know I have to put the original RAM back in to take it back to the Apple Store.

E
well in your case since the problem stops when you put the original ram back in, the genius will tell you that it's the ram. but with me it happened with both the original and 3rd party ram. if you're really afraid of them telling you that it's the ram that's the problem, just tell them that it happens with the original as well....not exactly the noble thing to do but it should get your computer fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.