MacBook RAM Upgrade Shutdown Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by elhammond, Oct 15, 2006.

1. elhammond macrumors newbie

elhammond

I have gotten two different kinds of RAM from two different places to upgrade my MacBook's RAM from 512MB to 2GB. After I installed both, my MacBook started to shut down randomly (panic sets in riiiiight....now) When I put my old RAM back in, the RAM that came with my MacBook, it works fine. Has anybody else had this? Is it the RAM or the logic board I have heard about? If I leave the 3rd party RAM in will Applecare even look at my machine? Or with they just say "It's the RAM"? Please somebody help a guy new to Mac. This is my first one and other than the discoloration and this random shut down thing, I absolutely love it.

Peace and thanks,
    Eric

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

what does it do when it shutds down? does it freeze up then go black, or does it just die instantly?

If you've tested it with the origial RAM, logic tells me its a RAM problem. But the extra RAM may have caused some more heat, putting more stress on the heatsink, which Apple has found to be faulty.

3. elhammond thread starter macrumors newbie

elhammond

It just shuts completely off and dies instantly.

4. elhammond thread starter macrumors newbie

elhammond

5. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

It sounds like incompatible RAM, if the problem only occurrs with the new stuff you bought but it all works fine with the original.

6. elhammond thread starter macrumors newbie

elhammond

I was thinking that would be very unlikely because I got 2 different types from 2 different places, but it sounds like you are right. I just want it to work! Anybody else have an opinion?

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Indeed, buy Apple (or at least brand name) certified/tested ram next time. It will save you the hassle.

What timings do the two sticks of ram have?

8. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

When I called applecare about the random shutdowns on my machine, they had me run a test to check the memory, (i think you hold "d" during bootup) and the test said the memory was fine. so now i've got to send it in....:(

i also upgraded the RAM myself, and am wondering if i should switch it back to the original before i send it in, or what. i thought i read somewhere that it doesn't void the warranty if you upgrade yourself, but i'm not sure....

9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

rockin; Send your machine back with the stock Apple RAM -- Apple won't be covering third-party RAM in any case.

elhammond; which specific brand and model of RAM had you installed?

10. elhammond thread starter macrumors newbie

elhammond

I got it from ramjet, here is the link http://www.ramjet.com/ItemDescription.asp?Item=MBIB2G

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nothing obvious out of order with that, unless you just got monstrously unlucky and got 2 defective module out of 4, neatly spaced in 2 pairs.

12. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

i've had the same problem with random shutdowns but with mine it occurs even with the stock apple ram. i recently installed a program this morning called smcFanControl http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/index.html which regulates the speed of the fan and haven't had a shut down all day. i went to my apple store about a month ago and they said that it's a logic board and heat sink problem and they could have it fixed in a few days. But since i need it for college I'm waiting for some down time when i don't need it....which is likely to be thanksgiving :(

13. elhammond thread starter macrumors newbie

elhammond

So do you think I should try getting one more set of RAM until I send it in to applecare?

14. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

i would just send it back now with its origanal RAM in as it is clearly defective

15. elhammond thread starter macrumors newbie

elhammond

OK :(

16. elhammond thread starter macrumors newbie

elhammond

Is there anyway to tell the Apple Genuis that I have tried installing multiple 3rd party sets of RAM and all of them don't work. Then the Genuis says it's a faulty machine not the RAM. Or will they just say it's the RAM? I know I have to put the original RAM back in to take it back to the Apple Store.

E

17. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

well in your case since the problem stops when you put the original ram back in, the genius will tell you that it's the ram. but with me it happened with both the original and 3rd party ram. if you're really afraid of them telling you that it's the ram that's the problem, just tell them that it happens with the original as well....not exactly the noble thing to do but it should get your computer fixed.

18. elhammond thread starter macrumors newbie

elhammond

UPDATE:

My Macbook has now started to shut down wil the old RAM in it. It's not the new RAM, Apple has to repair it. :)