Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
So I went to the apple store to get my Macbook and upgraded to 1gb of RAM. I noticed that the entire package was 100 dollars more expensive because I bought the computer in the store as opposed to on line from apple.com. The reason is because they gave me the original 2X256 mb RAM memory modules back when they installed the new RAM. Now, I was a little upset with this and was wondering how much do you think I could sell the never before used RAM for? It was simply taken out of the brand new computer in the apple store and replaced. I wish I had known to buy on line, someone help!

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Tommyg117 said:
So I went to the apple store to get my Macbook and upgraded to 1gb of RAM. I noticed that the entire package was 100 dollars more expensive because I bought the computer in the store as opposed to on line from apple.com. The reason is because they gave me the original 2X256 mb RAM memory modules back when they installed the new RAM. Now, I was a little upset with this and was wondering how much do you think I could sell the never before used RAM for? It was simply taken out of the brand new computer in the apple store and replaced. I wish I had known to buy on line, someone help!

I hate saying "you should'nt have", but I will anyways so you don't do it again in the future. It will be very hard to sell 2 sticks of 256MB RAM, you'll definitely get under $50. Next time just buy third party RAM from somewhere like OWC. I got the 2GB RAM upgrade kit for $220, and it tested ok under ramtest and haven't had any problems.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Tommyg117 said:

Its more because Apple charge to install the ram also. You should of did it yourself since you could of had 2gb for the price they charge for 1.

Well not sure if you can get much for it. Companies sell it for $29, so you might get $30-40 max for the pair.

Kidman13

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
Oh damn that sucks. Because I am going to be visiting the States I planned on purchasing a Macbook with 1Gig of RAM in the store (because I can't purchase it online). So to sum it up the 1gig ram upgrade costs $200 in the Apple Store?

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
that really stinks. I saw the price of the memory and specifically ASKED them why it was so much more expensive and the associate skirted the issue that it is more expensive in the store. I have installed RAM before, I could have done it, I didn't know I had the option!

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Kidman13 said:
Oh damn that sucks. Because I am going to be visiting the States I planned on purchasing a Macbook with 1Gig of RAM in the store (because I can't purchase it online). So to sum it up the 1gig ram upgrade costs $200 in the Apple Store?
yep 200$ in store.

Jamesw

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
For me with edu. discount it costs $111 Canadian extra for 1GB as aposed to 512MB.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Jamesw said:
For me with edu. discount it costs $111 Canadian extra for 1GB as aposed to 512MB.

but you ordered it online...

The thing is once the ram is removed it is used. Apple can not sell it as new. That is why they give it back to you. T

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Tommyg117 said:
that really stinks. I saw the price of the memory and specifically ASKED them why it was so much more expensive and the associate skirted the issue that it is more expensive in the store. I have installed RAM before, I could have done it, I didn't know I had the option!

As soon as he said it will cost $200, you should of said no if you didnt want it. You could of always come back if you couldnt find it cheaper.

Acehigh

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2006
Kidman13 said:

You can always buy ram online, and have it mailed to you.

Check out http://www.ramseeker.com

Kidman13

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
But the problem is because I live on a pretty remote Island in the carribean right now where it's really hard to get companies to ship to (and when they do the shipping prices are freaking high). So I would be in the states for exactly 1 week when I was planning on purchasing the macbook.

But I really wanted it with 1Gig RAM, but I really don't want to pay $200 and plus those 2 extra sticks I get won't be any use to me what so ever (and would be very hard to sell at $50 a piece). So my question is that there is any other way?

Don't they have Macbook in the Apple Store that come preloaded with 1Gig of RAM?

Or could it be possible to call the Apple Store I will be visiting in the States and maybe ask them to order one for me, and I will pick it up there? (i will be in the states from 5 July till 12 july)?????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.