MacBook Red LED Headphone Slot

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Asar, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Asar macrumors regular

i noticed when running windows on my white macbook, the headphone slot is glowing "red" with a led. my guess is so it helps you find the headphone slot while in the dark? anyways, does anyone know how to make the headphone slot light up red while using osx?

2. Whiteapple macrumors regular

Whiteapple

It's called the S/PDIF out of your computer, and windows doesnt desactivate it like OSX does when not in use, or when used with analog signals (like headphones for example). The red stuff is an optical digital signal. No need to worry, just leave it like that and wait for drivers.

At least you won't have to wait to find it in the dark :p:p

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

go to the sounds optioon in the control panels and you can turn it off... dun wana reboot but i bet you can find it

4. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

I thought the audio out doesnt work at all in windows other then the internal speakers or usb audio i was pretty sure those were the only two way to get audio in windows

5. FragTek macrumors 6502

Yup, you're right. The Windows drivers currently only support sound from the onboard speakers or via USB speakers.

I'm hoping they have a new driver out for this soon, I'm dieing to get my 5.1 optical connection back up for some immersive CS:S action.

6. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

well you can plug in headphones and not only will sound come out of them, but out of the onboard speakers as well

7. Asar thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i got some logitech speakers with the subwoofer that plug into the headphone slot, and it works great, but sound still comes from my laptop speakers at the same time as mentioned above.