Macbook Restore Discs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dalvin200, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

I've just been on the phone with Apple Support with about 20 mins on their premium rate 0870 number trying to get them to send me a set of Macbook restore discs.

I bought the macbook from a MR member with no restore discs, and I was told by him that I could just call Apple Support to get them sent out to me for free..

Now Apple are saying that i have to pay £40 for them. £40?!! come on!!

It's not even my fault, and now the MR member doesn't even respond to my emails or anything.

Isn't this kind of thing covered in Applecare? They informed me the purchase date was June 24th 2006, so I am way within the Applecare period.

Any help on this issue please?

Should I call them up again and speak to another CSR?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

That sucks and that MR member should step up and send the CD to you. Next time make sure everything is included in the deal....and I hope you get what you need...sorry man.

Bless

3. Stadsport macrumors regular

My boyfriend got a floor model iMac Core Duo from Fry's Electronics in Phoenix. They gave him some OEM Tiger Discs, but turns out they were PowerPC. I called the Apple Store and they said to call AppleCare, tell them our story and they'd send us some OEM Intel Tiger discs.
    I did just that, and we got some OEM Tiger discs, free of charge. So call AppleCare and tell them you got a floor model MacBook but it came without any discs.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Get the disks from the MR member, other than that use this site to find alternative (non premium) Apple numbers.

5. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

The MR member had damaged the discs, which is why they weren't part of the deal.

I'll try calling Apple later, but I've got a feeling that the conversation I had yesterday would all be logged on my account, and if I gave a different story they may find it a bit dodgy?

Eraserhead - thanks for that non premium rate site!! very useful indeed.. hope some of the Apple numbers work out

Will keep you posted when I call them up in a bit

6. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

Right, just come off to phone, and it's not good news..

As I'd figured, yesterdays details were all logged and they can't do anything :(

Although he did say that getting a Retail version of Tiger from "somewhere" would work.
    I asked him where is "somewhere" and he said to use my "imagination" !! lol..

was he telling me to do something naughty? :eek:

7. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

The problem is, even a retail version of tiger won't help you with your MacBook. I think all retail versions fo tiger are still powerpc only (because every intel Mac came with a copy of tiger). If I am wrong with this, someone please clarify it.

8. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

are you sure? the Applecare guy said that a retail version of Tiger would install on any mac..

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

nope, the retail version is PPC only.

The Apple guy is implying you get the "restore disk" for free. It's breaking forum rules to say any more ;)

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

lol

Apple steps up when the customer has a reasonable expectation of getting install discs. If you buy a new or refurb computer at an authorized retailer, of course they will take care of you. But if you buy a used computer from someone on the internet, then... from their perspective, this computer had perfectly good discs and the customer mucked them up. Why shouldn't they charge you to replace them?

That being said, all in all, I think taking the naughty route in this case personally would not be such a travesty. But take a safe version of the naughty route... don't wind up inadvertently giving your credit card number to some Russian mobster. :D

11. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yeah, that would be embarrassing... Like that time I got that job entertaining in-mates... :eek: *Starts Singing* 'My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard...'

lol... ;) If you don't watch FG then :rolleyes: is for you

12. dalvin200 thread starter macrumors 68040

any UK macbook owners willing to lend me their restore disc please?

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I feel for the OP and would like to see him helped, but, on the other hand, I can't allow the thread to actually provide him with a means to circumvent Apple's licensing - regardless of the obvious fact that a MacBook would obviously have come with Tiger and iLife, etc.. So I'll close it but not Wasteland it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.