MacBook & Rosetta - Any Probs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HasanDaddy, Apr 25, 2006.

1. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

Hey guys

I'm definitely interested in the new 17" MacBook

For those of you with Intel machines ---- how is Rosetta handling the non-Universal apps, particularly MICROSOFT OFFICE

Info on MISSING SYNC, FINAL DRAFT, and AOL is also VERY helpful

Thanks a ton!

2. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

MS Office isn't really that demanding, so you'll be fine there, but I would upgrade adding 2 GB of 3rd party RAM to cover Rosetta's hunger for RAM.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Rosetta *is* slow on RAM-munching apps like the Adobe/macromedia stuff (and reports are that they are not coming out with a Universal edition until 2007). :eek:

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

It works fine for me. I use Word quite a bit, and Rosetta is fast enough for fairly heavy use (it runs at about the same speed as it does on a G4; but really, it's Word. App speed isn't really all that important). The only complaint I have about Rosetta is that it seems to drain my battery a bit faster. Although I only (only... ha!) have 1GB of RAM in my MBP, so there may be extra swapping going on to account for that.

5. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks so much for the feedback dudes!

I'm taking a long look at the 17" MBP - the advice here always helps greatly!

6. HasanDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502a

actually - I'm considering selling my Dualie G5, as well as my LapZilla 1.67

I figure that should give me $2000 to $2500 --- I could wait for REVISION B of the MBP, but waiting that long could severely decrease the sales value of the G5 and LapZilla

7. jaisai01 macrumors member

right now i have adobe creative suite 2 running in rosetta and i have yet to find a serious lack in speed or activity.. just my 2 cents