MacBook S-video adapter

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gosh, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Gosh macrumors 6502

Hi

Just got a MacBook (wonderful, amazing) and asked assistant for a TV adapter.

DVI to S-Video. But the DVI connection doesn't fit the MacBook and now I realise it says iBook on the packet so he obviously gave me the wrong one.

Looking in Applestore doing numerous searches, I can't find a DVI to S-video adapter for the MacBook! Is there one?:confused:

Merry Christmas:)

2. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

You got the Mini VGA which is for ibooks / powerbooks..

What you need is the Mini DVI which is for Macbooks

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Please forgive me in advance if I am completely misunderstanding you, but how hard did you look? Googling "mini-dvi s-video" brought this up as the first hit....

Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter

[​IMG]

P.S. If your TV has VGA, DVI, or HDMI (in order from better to bestest), any of these options are substantially better than using an S-Vid cable.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Expanding on your point, in which case you need a Mini DVI to VGA or Mini DVI to DVI adapter.

5. Gosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the advice - I did search quite a bit - it seems UK Apple Store description is a bit naff 'The Mini-DVI to Video adapter is designed for the iMac (Intel Core) and 12-inch PowerBook G4, allowing you to connect to most S-video or Composite enabled device' says nothing about MacBook!

All the best!

6. roguelogo macrumors newbie

mini "DP" to video or s-video

Your problem is that your new MacBook uses a Mini DP connection. It's a digital signal. S-Video, VGA, and RCA Video are all analog signals. Mac does make a converter for Mini DP to VGA but it doesn't work. I know, I bought one. They know it doesn't work. They'll tell you it won't work if you call tech support. I don't know why they made it or sell it other than to rip people off. (Ok, I'm done ranting now.)

Ok, back to your problem is you need something to convert Mini DP to video. I have the exact same problem. I have explored several options, but I haven't had much luck. If someone could make a converter reasonably. I love the MacBook. But I hate the fact that it won't work with any of the projectors that I have at work. All are VGA or Video. I hope that Macintosh eventually figures out this is a huge problem for some people and will likely prevent some people from buying the newer machines if it isn't fixed soon. My company will not be buying anymore. Mine was the test machine for the company. Sadly we are going to have to go back to PC mainly because of this problem.

I hope you have better luck than I did,
    Rogue Logo

7. svndmvn Guest

I think there are solutions, I've looked for a friend of mine, for both Mini DP to VGA and to S-video.
    But I'm afraid you haven't checked the date of the thread/posts. Your aluminum macbook wasn't even dreamed of back in 2006.
    Cheers