MacBook screen quality

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by r-sparks, Jan 19, 2007.

1. r-sparks macrumors 6502

r-sparks

I'm seriously tempted into buying the entry level MacBook to replace my iBook G4.

What's the screen quality like on the MacBook? On my iBook it is, frankly, pretty poor. Brightness is an issue, as is color reproduction.

I guess I'm looking for UK responses here, because I suspect that Apple might supply different components for different parts of the world.

2. MatthewConnelly macrumors regular

MatthewConnelly

UK user here, the MacBook's screen is nice and clear. Really bright too.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Your iBook is ancient history in terms of components. Portable screens across the board are much brighter now. As for different components, I'd guess that's not true—they all come from Taiwan off the same manufacturing line.

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Good experiences with Macbook as well. A lot better than a Macbook Pro's.

5. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Good contrast, color and sharpness. A little too bright right out of the box but you can adjust that. The screen is not very reflective but it attracts a lot of a dust.

6. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

when i look at my sisters 14" iBook and my Macbook side by side, I notice an amazing difference. I even pressed F2 on her keyboard because I didn't believe it was at max brightness. The resolution is higher and everything is more crisp. I love the screen and the glossy isn't a problem for me

7. r-sparks thread starter macrumors 6502

r-sparks

I bought my iBook just 18 months ago! At the time there were plenty of notebooks with nice, bright screens. I think it's just that Apple choose cheap components for their low-end stuff. IIRC somebody found out the manufacturer and model details of the iBook screen, and found that it really did belong at the budget end of the range.

As for specs changing from country to country, I agree it's unlikely. But I notice that, on the US site, the specs for the 20in iMac lists the contrast ratio of the screen, whereas the UK site doesn't include this information. But then again, all Apple spec lists seem to be very general about components, leading me to think they might swap-in and out replacements depending on component costs at that time.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll get on board and say yes, the MB has a nice screen. Just remember, no LCD can match a CRTs color-depth. However, the MB is pretty nice. :)

9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

You will be amazed at the quality of the display. Much, Much better than the iBook's screen.

10. jdoyle macrumors member

Yes They are nice displays in the macbook

One interesting thing regarding ibook screen quality,

I had my display replaced under warranty and the replacement was way better, really bright and clear. I guess they changed suppliers somewhere along the line