macbook screen wave/rippling effect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by borly, Dec 16, 2006.

1. borly macrumors newbie

good day to all! i just got my macbook around 3 days ago, and i noticed something with the screen. it took me forever to look for a guy with a similar problem. found him! Newno55 from this thread. Unfortunately, the thread is locked.

here's a quote from his problem "Pretend that you are looking at your macbook screen head on (perfectly 90 degrees to the center of the screen). When i have my brightness to 1/2 of anywhere less than aobut 1/2 and i dip my head (such that i am now looking up at the screen from below that 90 degree imaginary plane) i see that the screen is flickering slightly. Its like this little rippling/ wave effect."

do any of you guys have this similar problem? :(

thanks & happy holidays!

2. borly thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for checking it though.

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

It happened with a rather old Powerbook that I had, didn't bother me much.

Live with it, you will do just fine :)

4. borly thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks iW00t!

as long as the rippling effect doesn't get worse then i guess it's all good. :)

5. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Well if you are not one who lies down on your bed and type with your Macbook resting on your lap above your head you won't notice.

Don't ask how I came to know that lazeee posture :)

6. borly thread starter macrumors newbie

yup. after reading some of the problems of other c2d users, i guess this is one of the more subtle issues. does apple recognize this problem? :)

7. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Well i can tell you that neither my Tibook or my ibook have this problem. And i would definately classify it as a problem. I would call Apple because thats deifnately not acceptable IMHO. :cool:

8. borly thread starter macrumors newbie

i shall make an inquiry come monday. :)

9. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

10. borly thread starter macrumors newbie

if it's a serious problem, i sure hope they replace it. thanks!

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

12. borly thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for checking eraserhead :)

13. NickSixers macrumors newbie

I just purchased a black Macbook last Friday, and I have the screen wave/rippling effect described in this thread.
    First, did anyone who had this problem have success getting it fixed?
    Second, should I ask for an exchange for another new Macbook or a repair when I take it in to the "Genius" Bar?
    Thanks for your help.

14. peter202 macrumors member

peter202

yeah i noticed this in my first week. im now in week 6 and i havent noticed it in sometime.. in fact i cant remember when i last did. i hope they arent defective...
    im just gonna cross my fingers
    good luck.

15. overlander macrumors newbie

16. jonaseriksson macrumors member

whats up with the macbook screens? im about (after finally convincing apple) to receive my fourth screen. first had dead pixel + pattern, second had another defect, and my third had the dead pixel + pattern again... did apple chose low-quality screens just to get costs down. ive never seen this on a pc laptop (of the 15 or so im around reguarly)

17. overlander macrumors newbie

It's starting to look like they have bought the cheapest LCD panel they could find. The whole macbook is a quality disaster for Apple. I am now on my 4th Macbook for various quality problems, they must have no quality control.

18. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Well, there was a (well known) flicker in MacBookPro screens when the brightness was less than 100%, perhaps there's something similar in the MacBook?

As for the angle of your head - I'm not sure exactly how/what angle you're looking at your screen, but could it be due to the fact you're looking at the screen with your peripheral vision? It's more sensitive to motion, hence you're more likely to notice it.

19. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

My screen is fine, no dead pixels or flickering.

It does seem kind of brighter at the bottom, I don't know if it's just me or the lighting, or if it's actually uneven.

20. Groovey macrumors member

I bought my MacBook on the beginning of december. It was sent back due to a slightly malfunctioning fan which made some extranoise... It had just a slight ripple, which didn't bother me and I didn't see this thing as an issue at all. I was glad they called it back. Now I received my second MB this week. From the very moment I first switched this one on it had a very clear ripple. (To my eyes.) Now it doesn't show immediately when I take it back from sleep. Takes something like 5min to warm up. It's worst when the machine is plugged in and is used in a dim place with 50% brightness or less.

I just had to give up my old iBook which I now do miss. It's screen was completely ok like you'd be looking into a painting.

I'm really getting tired with all this going on. Is this what happens when you need to reach for bigger market shares? I hate to send this one back without knowing that the next one could be any better. And I'd like to start using my expensive machine for change... :confused:

21. borly thread starter macrumors newbie

hi guys! sorry for the late reply!

after two weeks of waiting over the holiday break, they replaced my macbook.

guess what it's still there, but much less than before. hahA!

i just decided to keep this one as i had the body film installed twice already!

i'm quite disappointed being a first time mac user, but alas the pros of the entire package help me get over this matter. :)

for the hard earned money my parents spent for this machine, i hope they did not use a low-quality lcd panel.

22. Groovey macrumors member

I'm hoping it to be much possible that they would acknowledge this problem at some point and fix the machines affected by this or write some übercode to sort it out. That's also something Apple's been quite good at. :)

For me this is sad also because still there's no way that I could ever start looking for a PC notebook. So it seems that the MacBook is the only option for me and it has this stupid flaw... Which they will fix. :)

23. iShak macrumors 6502

i've had exactly the same problem with my last macbook, (bought 23rd dec 2006) and it was quite bad, later the 7 keys on the keyboard stopped working in a week's time so i got that one replaced.

now this second macbook also had the same problem but not as bad as the first one, but now i am looking at the screen from various angles and can just barely make out the ripple effect .. infact i had forgoten about it :) .. wow its almost gone by itself!

24. Groovey macrumors member

I hope my 3rd one won't have it too bad. I can deal with a slight ripple after this one. This isn't that easy, it's really a job on the eyes.