Macbook screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mleibowi, Feb 27, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Feb 21, 2008
    I'm in the process of deciding between a MBP or Macbook. I'm leaning towards the MBP because images, text, etc... just aren't as sharp on the MB. Is it because the MB doesn't have a graphics card like the MBP or because the MB has a lower resolution screen? Has anybody noticed this, and if so, how can one increase the resolution of the screen. Lastly, if I wait 4-5 months to get a MB, does anyone think the resolution of the screens will increase/improve? I'd hate to spend an extra 500 bucks for the MBP just because it has a higher resolution screen. Any thoughts?

2. macrumors newbie

Jan 15, 2008
    I don't find any problem with the Macbook screen and I use loads of different monitors for my Photoshop and Indesign work. It is bright with great colours and sharp enough for any use you would have for a 13.3 screen.

Yes, the MBP has the LED screen which is nice but I don't see any reason to pay the extra just for the screen.

Just a thought - maybe the one you have been looking at was set up wrongly. It is possible to have a lower resolution on the screen and to reduce the dock and icon sizes so that they look normal.
  3. macrumors member

Feb 7, 2008
    Unless you are planning on doing some graphic and video work or gaming you won't really need the macbook pro. I was thinking the same thing but decided to get the macbook and with the money I saved I am going to buy an external moniter. You can get a decent 24" display for 500 dollars.
  4. macrumors 604

Aug 28, 2007
    San Francisco California, USA

it definitely depends on what you want to use your MB for, but if it's BR DVD's you may want to get a BR player for about $400. :cool:
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 21, 2008
    After extensive searching, it turns out that the reason why the text isn't so sharp on the macbook is that on the OSX operating system, there is a text smoothing function. Using tinker tools, one can set the text smoothing for font larger than 144pt, essentially turning off the smooth text function, thus problem solved. However, I read that firefox will still smooth text. Anyone have issues with Safari? I plan on using that browser.