Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mleibowi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
I'm in the process of deciding between a MBP or Macbook. I'm leaning towards the MBP because images, text, etc... just aren't as sharp on the MB. Is it because the MB doesn't have a graphics card like the MBP or because the MB has a lower resolution screen? Has anybody noticed this, and if so, how can one increase the resolution of the screen. Lastly, if I wait 4-5 months to get a MB, does anyone think the resolution of the screens will increase/improve? I'd hate to spend an extra 500 bucks for the MBP just because it has a higher resolution screen. Any thoughts?

Mike

canoejohn

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
I don't find any problem with the Macbook screen and I use loads of different monitors for my Photoshop and Indesign work. It is bright with great colours and sharp enough for any use you would have for a 13.3 screen.

Yes, the MBP has the LED screen which is nice but I don't see any reason to pay the extra just for the screen.

Just a thought - maybe the one you have been looking at was set up wrongly. It is possible to have a lower resolution on the screen and to reduce the dock and icon sizes so that they look normal.

crazyskillz07

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2008
Unless you are planning on doing some graphic and video work or gaming you won't really need the macbook pro. I was thinking the same thing but decided to get the macbook and with the money I saved I am going to buy an external moniter. You can get a decent 24" display for 500 dollars.

mleibowi

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
After extensive searching, it turns out that the reason why the text isn't so sharp on the macbook is that on the OSX operating system, there is a text smoothing function. Using tinker tools, one can set the text smoothing for font larger than 144pt, essentially turning off the smooth text function, thus problem solved. However, I read that firefox will still smooth text. Anyone have issues with Safari? I plan on using that browser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.