Macbook security on wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Vazza, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Vazza macrumors member

I'm having problems with security on the wireless network (WEP protected) I have with my flatmate's XP PC mainly that he is able to access all my files and place new files into the folders (no malicious intent, thankfully). I followed the guide here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=54704&page=13&highlight=network

As a result he knows the password to my Macbook account so is there a method to network that doesn't involve me giving him my password. What I want to be able to do is just share the folders I want NOT my entire Home directory :confused:. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

BTW my flatmate is the network admin.

2. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I don't think there is a simple way to share particular folders like you can do in Windows, unfortunately

I'm surprised he can see you entire home folder, though. What do you have enabled in you "Sharing" system preferences? I was under the impression that when you enabled file sharing, only the files in your Public folder are openly accessible.

Or maybe I'm confusing File Sharing with Web Sharing?

Anyway, as a first step please list what Sharing you have enabled so far...

3. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, Imalave.

Basically when
    I entered the WEP I could connect to the network and access the net, however I could not see any of the shared folders on his PC (Finder>Network) so I tried the method in the post above and now can access them, however, he can now access my whole home directory

I've already changed my password and turned off ALL filesharing in Sharing...to no avail, he can still see all my files and create new files in my Home directory!:confused: BTW my firewall is supposedly off.

4. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

Sorry he cannot access my whole Home directory rather he can see Music, Videos, Desktop, Public etc. and can also place new files into these folders (annoying as he can put files onto my desktop).

5. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Hi, there are many, many pages to that thread you linked to. Can you cut and paste the changes you made?

How is he viewing and creating files in your home directory? Does it look like a regular Windows Share on his computer? Is he just able to right-click on your home foder and say "Create New Folder" or "Create New File"?

Do you have *all* sharing turned off, including FTP and Web sharing? Even Internet Sharing? Just covering all the bases.

6. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Hmm...that is still very strange. I thought only Public was accessible.

FYI, if you want to share other folders besides just the Public folder, I seem to recall that the way you can do that is by creating a shortcut to anything you want (be it a file or another folder) and putting it in the Public folder...

7. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

All file sharing is off.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Puzzling, that shouldn't be possible, is the firewall (System Preferences==>Sharing==>Firewall) on?

9. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

EDIT: Disregard what I wrote...he can still see my computer and folders as I described above and insert new files.

Eraserhead, the firewall is on with no boxes checked.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds very strange, almost as if you've been hacked which is worrying, if none of the boxes are checked and the firewall is on that should be basically impossible.

Is everyone using XP or OS X? If so it is worth switching the Wireless network security to WPA (if possible) as WEP isn't actually secure and is only really a deterrent.

11. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

A bit more info, I got confused earlier on...basically he can't access my computer via My Network Places anymore...he can still access my computer and folders through my IP though.

There's just the 2 of us on the network, he's using XP Pro and obviously I'm on the Macbook.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I don't know, I'd go for my WPA suggestion though if you can.

Can you load up and screenshot Directory Access (/Applications/Utilities/Directory Access)? I believe you may still have some stuff open with that.

13. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Ok, so I read through the instructions that you followed. So did you follow all of these instructions? Which of the above steps did you undo? You unchecked "Windows Sharing", right?

What about the "Directory Accesss" settings? I'm not familiar with those settings, but have you tried unchecking everything under "Directory Access"?

Can you provide Screenshots of your Directory Access settings as well as your Sharing settings?

Also, can you post screenshots of what your machine looks like on your roommates computer?

14. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

WPA vs. WEP has nothing to do with file sharing, though. He and his roommate are both connected to the same wireless network, so they absolutely SHOULD be able to see each other's computers, even with WPA. The issue is the file access.

15. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

So what is he typing in exactly? Does he just put something in like \\10.0.0.3\ in his Explorer window? What exactly is he doing? Or does he put something like file://10.0.0.3/ or ftp://10.0.0.3/?

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

True, sorry it's not important right now, my feeling was that with this problem the fact that the wireless network isn't secure means others could get access too.

17. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

All I've undone is uncheck all file sharing (plus untick my account from the "Accounts" button) and changed my workgroup back to the default "Workgroup".

As requested:
    [​IMG]

Will try to get a screenshot on my flatmate's side of things too.

18. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Try this, actually: turn all sharing settings ON and then turn them OFF again. Maybe somehow one of the Sharings is stuck on ON even though the Preferences window is showing it as OFF.

19. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

20. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

No idea, try installing Netbarrier a third party firewall (free trial), it has never been possible on my computer before.

22. DA-Steve macrumors regular

ive got the exact same problem.. i can access every folder on my mbp from my pc just buy using the cmd prompt typing \\00.00.00 (macs ip) i didnt even need to enter my macs login name and password..