Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
So i need a little setup advice. I have a Powermac and a 20 inch monitor which i'm selling. To save money and get the best i can for it. I was originally going to get a 24" imac, but upon further consideration decided that i will wait til Macworld to get a new desktop. Alternatively i have a macbook, and 24" dell which i just ordered that will act as my desktop for the next 3 mos. The problem comes in here:

My macbook has 100gb of space, and my PM has 500gb, of which 350 is full. The issue is where and how to store all my data, mostly multimedia, in a safe and easily accesible setup for my MB. I was either going to:

a.) get a 500 gb external (fw/USB 2) on which i would mirror my current PM and plugin to the MB, but i'm concerned about performance or file transfer speed, and whether i should mirror it or just use it as data storage, I don't really Need to mirror it.

b.) or get a small server like this one: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat33200050002&id=1149206643191 but i don't know how fast or reliable that is. Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.