MacBook sharp edges

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by smgoldin, May 23, 2006.

1. smgoldin macrumors newbie

Hi. I've been ghosting here for months, eagerly awaiting the new MacBook with all of you. I now own one (as of Monday morning) and am loving it, except for one thing -- the sharp edges that cut into my wrists while I type! I've read various threads with complaints about this, but haven't seen any suggestions for fixing it (sorry if I missed postings about this elsewhere). My two ideas are either to sand down the edges until they're rounded and smooth, or put something on it (a piece of cloth? glue?) What do you guys think? This is an annoying design flaw (how the heck did this get past Apple's testers?) on an otherwise wonderful computer. I am not willing to connect an external keyboard for everyday use. I should be able to use the laptop's built in keyboard with some degree of comfort!
    Thanks for your thoughts.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Do not sand it down - please. It'll ruin the case and likely won't make any difference in the feel. Get a keyboard wrist pad and use that - it works well. Just place it right "under" the MB. Not literally under... below the trackpad, closer to you.

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I'm gonna have to disagree with jsw on this one. Go for the sand paper. If that doesn't help break out the chain saw.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Your other option, of course, is to wear wrist guards. ;)

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Seriously, try getting something to prop up your MacBook. Set it underneath the side furthest from you (the side with the screen hinge). That should put it at an angle so there is not as much pressure on your wrists.

6. BrianSalts macrumors regular

Why are your wrists hanging off the bottom edge of the macbook anyways? that shouldn't be happening. plus, i don't think they're that sharp.

7. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Typing with proper technique seems to have solved the "problem" for many MB users. I also vote that the edges are not that sharp.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Maybe he has REALLY long fingers...

BREAK OUT THE CHAINSAW!!!

9. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Proper typing involves keeping your wrists off any surfaces, as it cuts off circulation and eventually causes Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.

10. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

If you exchange the 13" MB for a 15" MBP, you will have more surface area to rest your wrists on and won't be touching the corners.

11. eAspenwood macrumors member

Wrist bands are definitely the way to go. Not only will they make you look sporty, but you'll also be able to wipe the sweat off your brow caused by the heat emanating from that thing.

12. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Is anyone else noticing some funky happenings on the forums within the past couple minutes? I've seen one quadruple post, two double posts, and two triple posts. I thought the forums had a double post prevention system in place...

13. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

The forums just "locked up" for me...And i had a triplicate post!
    Strange that this also happened when the Mail.app and Activity Monitor.app programs on my MB would not open.....connected? Anyone else notice a Safari slowdown on MR, and have software issues?

14. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I think the servers are having issues... its a problem in several threads at the moment.

15. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yes! I have already deleted several double posts. I don't know what is happening. All I know is I clicked the "Submit Reply" button just one time.

16. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Many people have mentioned that if you use proper typing techniques your wrists shouldn't be resting there. Well many people don't use proper technique and if the MB edges are actually sharp enough to cause discomfort, that is a pretty bad design flaw.

17. Cpt. Obvious macrumors newbie

Also, banging your head on a cinderblock may cause bleeding.

18. MustardMan macrumors member

I also find the edges of the macbook to be excessively sharp. I use the notebook a lot sitting on the armrest of a sofa and it definitely digs into my wrists.

19. joebells macrumors 6502

I'm considering getting a macbook and this was one of my concerns after I saw them. I have used a laptop before that had a hard edge like that and it really hurt my wrists when I used it in certain positions especially on the couch. I was thinking something like a cling to protect against discoloration and cover up the ugly grey inside part and maybe if it was thick enough you could have it wrap around the hard edge and it would help. But if its hurting people I really am having second thoughts now. aaaaaaaah I really want an apple of some sort but I really don't like the current macbook pro and the integrated vid card and this are steering me away from the macbook.

20. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Best idea I've heard in a long time. My darn MBP gets so hot it does make my hands sweat and makes me feel uncomfortably warm.

21. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Mammoth is right, I have carpal tunnel, after only using computers for five years.. Always cold and painful... Still typing up a stom though. :p

Try and lift your wrists, as uncomfortable as it may be at first.

22. JudeB macrumors newbie

JudeB

Another use for my wristguard

Two hours into my new MacBook, and I've spent thirty minutes of it researching this stupid sharp edge and seeing if there are any workarounds. My first image with my isight was my pic for this forum.

Haven't even played with it yet properly and already I'm sore. It's fine to type, but to scroll/surf the side of my hand is very uncomfortable.

How sad is that? I was thrilled with the MB specs, the price was reasonable, but I'm already wanting someone to sell a wrap around sleeve (it's a laptop, a wrist pad won't work for me).

The earlier post about "where were the testers?" rings a chord with me.

23. bobalina macrumors newbie

bobalina

24. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

Within 3 hours of using my Macbook I put it up for sale on craigslist because my wrists hurt so bad. I too was waiting months for this release, but this design flaw kills me. I'm not willing to pay $800 more for a MB pro either.

These are definitly frustraiting times for budget apple laptop users.

Jeff