MacBook shutdown problem (not RSS)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by McGarvels, Jan 24, 2007.

1. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Hi All,

So I've been having a random problem with my MacBook as of late. I thought it might just be a couple of flukes and that it was nothing serious, but now I'm not so sure.

Sometimes my MacBook will just not shut down. It appears to shut down, but in fact, it does not shut down. I don't notice that it isn't shutdown because I can't hear the fans and the screen is completely black. I notice that this because after a shut down I place my MacBook in a booq sleeve (booq vyper XS2) and then in my incase bag and start my commute home (about 1 hr with traffic unfortunately).

After I get home, I find that my incase bag is warm, I take out my MacBook in the sleeve and it's blazing hot, with fans on at full blast trying to keep the MacBook from catching fire. It actually caused some discoloration the last time from the Booq sleeve. This has happened at least 12 times in the past 3 weeks. I thought that I had solved the problem four days ago after I reset both the PRAM and the SMC, and I figured it was safe to put it back in the booq sleeve, but this is when it happened again.

So my question, is there anything else that I could try before taking my MacBook to an apple store? If not, what do you think the apple store will do with my MacBook. I cannot be without it because it is essential for my work. Thanks in advance for you guys' help.

Cheers,
    Mike

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

You can try doing an archive and install of OS X. Just boot from the MacBook DVD and it should start the OS X installer. Go through and make sure it you set it to do an archive and install. I believe you select that when you select the HD to install it on. It will probably flash up a yellow caution symbol overtop of the HD when you select. Click on options and make sure archive and install is select. DO NOT to an erase and install or you will lose everything!!!

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

What apps have you installed and what are you leaving open when you shut down?

Bless

4. McGarvels thread starter macrumors 6502

McGarvels

All the Apps are closed when I shut down the computer. I would rather not do an archive and install, but if that is the best thing to do then I will. Thanks for your help you guys.

Cheers