Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natness

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2005

ripfrankwhite

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
I would love to hear from some owners. I've gotta get one, just dont know which one. I guess I'll be the first and then review it. ;)

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
I use one with my desktop and my powerbook. They are great for keeping dirt and other undesirable items from entering your keyboard. They do make your typing slow down slightly, however.

ripfrankwhite

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
I ordered the black Exo. I almost ordered the iSkin, but it cost a lot more and didn't offer black. I'll post some pics and reviews when I get mine.

emotistically

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2006
I almost want to get the black one for my white macbook. I think it would look cool to just have the keys black. But I think it would be cooler to have a black book with a white keyboard.

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
Aren't you guys concerned with the layer of silicone preventing heat from escaping through the keyboard? Or is it not an issue?

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Temujin said:
Aren't you guys concerned with the layer of silicone preventing heat from escaping through the keyboard? Or is it not an issue?

Hasn't been an issue on the iBooks. There are the vents that are by the screen that provide a lot of heat to escape.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
Having just retired my iMac pro keyboard - due to its rather unkempt condition - and I've purchased the updated mac keyboard - and decided to get an iSkin.

Whilst I will also get an iSkin for my portable - I'm not sure (given this experience with my desktop keyboard) that it's that usable (for me).

I've only been typing with it for about a week - however I'm struggling to type - the 'b' and the 'spacebar' are really difficult - and b/c I need to type quickly to churn work out - it's really slowing me down. The amount of typos due to the lag in my key execution is alarming, not to mention words without spaces.

Hoping my iSkin will settle in a bit more... Not sure if I will shell out money for the iSkin for my new portable at this stage...

jamone80

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
So Cal
another thing to consider with iSkins is the dirt/buildup that might press onto the screen when closed. :confused: just a thought...

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
sierra oscar said:
Having just retired my iMac pro keyboard - due to its rather unkempt condition - and I've purchased the updated mac keyboard - and decided to get an iSkin.

Whilst I will also get an iSkin for my portable - I'm not sure (given this experience with my desktop keyboard) that it's that usable (for me).

I've only been typing with it for about a week - however I'm struggling to type - the 'b' and the 'spacebar' are really difficult - and b/c I need to type quickly to churn work out - it's really slowing me down. The amount of typos due to the lag in my key execution is alarming, not to mention words without spaces.

Hoping my iSkin will settle in a bit more... Not sure if I will shell out money for the iSkin for my new portable at this stage...
I just bought an iSkin for my keyboard too, but the space bar is extremely hard to press. I was able to improve it, but shortly after with just a little more use, it goes back to being very stiff and hard to press. What a waste of $25... I would will never recommend an iSkin for external keyboards.

But I am interested in their MacBook one, since that is flat and would probably not be as much of a hindrance.

freshS0LE

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
I'm using one for my MBP and i love it.

it takes getting used to. it really helps to protect
the keyboard and internal from dust accumulations.

another cool thing about it is that is makes typing
silent.

so it's not for everyone but if you want to keep your
keyboard immaculate, definitely get this.

sierra oscar

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2006
South Australia, Australia
kainjow said:
I just bought an iSkin for my keyboard too, but the space bar is extremely hard to press. I was able to improve it, but shortly after with just a little more use, it goes back to being very stiff and hard to press. What a waste of $25... I would will never recommend an iSkin for external keyboards.

But I am interested in their MacBook one, since that is flat and would probably not be as much of a hindrance.

An update on the iSkin for the ext keyboard - as you know kainjow the space bar was just about unworkable - but is only now starting to show some give and I'm now seeing spaces between my words. But you have to persevere for a few weeks for this to happen. Then again perhaps my typing technique has changed to compensate for this iSkin...not sure.

I wouldn't throw it away though Kainjow (believe me I wanted to - but it cost me allot more than $25.00 from an Australian supplier + postage - so I just couldn't not use it) - but I did think (and I still may do this) to cut out the space bar portion of the iSkin with a scalpel - wouldn't hurt if your iSkin isn't friendly enough to use?

I do think the iSkin (and equivalents) for the MB/MBP will be easier to type with.

freshS0LE

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
another thing to consider with iSkins is the dirt/buildup that might press onto the screen when closed. just a thought...

actually...dirt build-up on the silicone doesn't really stick
on the screen. you get some, but it isnt a major problem.
and cmon...ur afraid of a little dust on ur screen? just
brush it off. no biggie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.