Macbook Skins

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by YoNeX, Dec 13, 2006.

1. YoNeX macrumors regular

YoNeX

Found this one site selling some awesome looking skins for the Macbook, has anyone tried these?

http://macvatar.com

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Very colorful. The only one I like is 'Take Off'. After inspecting closely I don't like it after all cause it's from a VW. :p

3. Ozman712 macrumors member

MacStyles

These are more plain, but you have a lot of different options with them.
    www.MacStyles.com

4. enclave macrumors member

I recently got some skins from Macstyles, it looks pretty damn good IMHO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Wow I wish I had seen these earlier. It looks like a good way to keep some off scratches too.

6. charkshark macrumors member

charkshark

They look awesome, I'm definitely gonna get one. Those new carbon fiber skins look cool too.

7. thanhha136 macrumors newbie

extra 15% off coupon for Macvatar.com

I like the graphics and quality of the printing from macvatar better. I did have a hard time choosing between the safari and the timeless, but decided to go for the safari. Got the coupon in the email after my order. Code: macvatar15, must choose google checkout as the method of payment. I think it's for one time use only, so if you use it, please keep us posted.

8. thanhha136 macrumors newbie

Got my skin. Highly recommend macvatar products.

:)
    I am wondering if any other member bought macvatar skins? I love mine. Great stuff. Look better in real life than in pictures. The best part is that removing the skin is very easy and without any sort of residuals. I am considering buying one or two more, most probably the limited edition Panther.

9. HowEver macrumors 6502a

HowEver

10. enclave macrumors member

Rubbing Alcohol and about half an hours work and it's good as new. I've done it before.

macstyles even has instructions on how to do it. It's quite safe.

11. thanhha136 macrumors newbie

I bought more than one skins and swap them every now and then. Like I mentioned before, there is absolutely no residual. It takes about 20 seconds to swap since I want to align the apple logo cut-out on the skin and the logo on the macbook perfectly. The skin works like a magnet but it's not magnetic. If I have to spend half an hour with alcohol rubbing, I would give it up.

12. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Granted what you pay at Macavatar is a customized skin but for the same price you can get full protection for the MB from BestSkinsEver. My MB is completely protected now: top, bottom, palm rests, trackpad, clicker, keyboard as well as the LCD screen. :cool:

13. raymondkerr macrumors regular

I have a black macbook which has some nasty scrapes, I am looking for a carbon effect skin for both the outer cover with apple logo cut out, aswell as a skin for the inside, around the trackpad area.

Does anyone know where I can buy one ? I have tried Gelaskins and a few other sites, but can't find a carbon one and most just seem to offer the skin for the outter lid without the apple logo cut out. The glowing apple is the coolest part of the macbook, so I don't want to cover it. I would be prepared to cut it out if I really had to.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers
    Raymond

14. mcmacintyre macrumors newbie

mcmacintyre

I'm not sure about around the trackpad area, but you can get macbook skins with the apple already cut out. The trackpad idea would be cool. I also heard someone suggesting a skin to go around the screen bezel. Don't know where to get that either...

15. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

I really like the MacStyles.

Those of you using them...with styles that show the Apple logo, is that part transparent? I have a die cut sticker covering my Apple logo now that I want to keep. If it's transparent, than that's cool cause my Apple sticker will still shine through.

I'm guessing it's transparent or there's just no sticker covering that part...like a die cut. Thanks.

16. jbroox macrumors newbie

You can get cool MacBook skins with the apple cutout from iToppers.com.
    [​IMG]
    They have a simple classic design that comes in several colors and some cool graphic designs as well. You can even order skins with your own custom graphics. And they are less expensive that most other places.

17. wilsonhaven macrumors member

18. boonchunt macrumors newbie

I like the this Macbook Skin

It even cover the edge & corner. Almost 100% protection against potential dirt & scratches.

The great thing is: it cover the bottom oso.

the even great thing is : it can be wrapped on the area surrounding each keyboard's key.

Don't you think this is very great? :cool:

19. Nyneve922 macrumors newbie

Review of bestskinsever clear skin for MacBook Pro 15.4"

Just applied a clear skin from bestskinsever.com on my new MBP, thought I'd give some feedback about it.

Love it.

It fits precisely, covers more surfaces than most protects, was reasonably priced ($27), looks good, feels fine, seems very durable, and was MUCH easier to put on than I was anticipating.

Here's the big tip I discovered when I put it on: I didn't have a spray bottle, so I took a large-ish plastic tray, and poured some of my water/soap mixture (10 oz. water, 1/4 tsp. liquid hand soap) into the tray, just enough to cover the whole surface. When I peeled off the pieces of the skin, I just laid them down in the water and lifted them up again to apply them. No need to hold with one hand and spray with the other, or have another person help. Also I was unable to access the application instructions on the bestskinsever site, so i found them elsewhere, but I don't think the official instructions call for the soap. I'd recommend it, though, because I really felt like it helped the skin slide around better as I positioned it. And I found it was definitely important to keep my hands wet, so the skin wouldn't stick, and I wouldn't leave fingerprints in the adhesive. And last thing -- when I put on the top piece, the flat corners of the sheet didn't match the rounded corners of the MBP case, but as I kept squeegeeing out the water with my credit card, I just kept easing the skin down around the corners, and as it started to adhere more and more it did take the rounded shape. Finally I just held two corners down at a time with the palms of my hands, for maybe a minute, and then the skin was perfectly formed to the rounded corners, with no wrinkles or anything. Et voila. It's shinier than the bare aluminum, which I'm not wild about, but then, it's also less shiny than I was expecting, which is good. The feel of the touchpad is a bit different, with a little more friction. If you imagine dragging your finger slowly across a smooth glass screen, like a TV or CRT, with some pressure, you know how it kinda squeaks, and your skin will sort of "catch" -- it's like that, because the trackpad is glossier now.

Anyway overall I'm quite happy with the thing. It was easy to apply, fits well, looks OK-to-good, and was relatively inexpensive. I would buy it again, and I recommend it.

Cheers,
    Laura

20. jus10p macrumors newbie

21. roliath macrumors regular

roliath

22. Boukman macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I ll post in this topic my two questions. About to buy a MBP in the next days and obviously a bit annoyed by the upcoming upgrade, as I really need the machine before Feb 20th. I am leaving on that day to South Africa for a year but want to buy my MBP here in Belgium as I want to have an azerty keyboard. Does anybody know, btw, if when an update is released, this is directly available worldwide?

Anyhow:
    - Does the "See Thru Satin Case for MacBook Pro" help cool down the MBP, or does it rather add to it? In the description, they both say openings are not covered as to facilitatie normal ventilation and that rubber heels help ventiliation. And would you in general recommend such a case; for what reason?
    - Anybody with experiences on having the edges of the MBP rubbing in your handpalms? Any solutions for that?

Many thanks!

23. hackum macrumors regular

Why on earth would you want to cover your expensive laptop with decals? It's like putting stickers on your Porsche...

24. Nyneve922 macrumors newbie

Re: bestskinsever review

No, it's like applying clear coat on your Porsche. Except that the skin is less likely to show evidence of scratches, because its plasticity lets it "heal" shallow ones.

I'm talking about a transparent, colorless skin, you realize. For protection only. I didn't make that clear in my review.

25. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't think that his comment was directed at you.