Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
My Macbook experience has been spoiled by sound niggles.

First off, I get an occasional static sound followed by a 'pop' from the right-hand speaker area (when headphones are plugged in it STILL comes out of this area, rather than out of the headphones or external speakers - thankfully).

More annoying is a problem I couldn't find shared by fellow Macrumors members. Watching my Fanny and Alexander DVD tonight on the Macbook (via Shure headphones) I noticed that during any peaks in sound I got a faint static, fuzzy sound from the right-hand-channel. Very annoying. It also occurs in iTunes - it follows the peaks of the music, then cuts of instantly when I pause the track.

I cannot actually detect this problem through my Bose speakers, or through the Macbook's own speakers (too quiet to tell). However, playing the same songs through my iPod using the Shure headphones, cannot detect a problem.

It sounds like a slightly off-tune FM radio.

Is this common? It has certainly soured my recent 'upgrade'.

lshirase

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
my macbook does the exact same thing. i dont have a problem with it. i think its normal.

sivits

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
My MacBook has a similar audio problem.

First, when the internal amp shuts off there is a noticeable pop. I can live with this.

Second, both channels have a low amplitude mid-band oscillation. I verified it with two headphone sets (one from Etymotic, the other pair were junkers). Is this a one off problem, or systemic problem with MacBooks?

retro83

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
I have pops when the powersaving kicks in a silences the output of the soundcard.

In the background during playback I can hear odd electronic squeaks, buzzes and fizzes as well as some typical white noise.

All I have here are DJ headphones (Sony MDRV-700) and some portable 'phones (Sennheiser CX-300) both are muddy and mask a lot of the noise. I imagine with decent cans it would be infuriating.

I'm considering one of these to hopefully avoid the issue.

Also, I've heard that Macbooks have hardware/driver resampling to 48khz - is this the case & is it possible to change?

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
I think the pops - I can live with. The static? I am not so sure. I also noticed that AGAIN the plastic cable coating on my Shures has worn through. Not sure if that is the cause of the static problem, though.

Any other owners of a Macbook which 'pops'>?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.