Macbook spontaneously restarts when it goes to sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by plunar, Jan 1, 2007.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

this is a weird one. i have no way to reproduce it reliably. all i can say is that nearly daily, the macbook will restart after i close the lid, rather than go to sleep.

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Battery charged/computer plugged in?

Did you add third-party RAM?

Any weird system mods we should know about?

3. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Um... Do you mean restart when you open the lid back up? Is your firmware up to date?

4. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Could be a heat thing...or maybe you have something set weird.

5. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

6. ChrisMcD macrumors newbie

I have a similar problem.

I find that the only reliable way to get my MBP to go to sleep is to turn off all internet apps and chose 'sleep' in the finder menu.

Bit of a hassle after just being able to close the lid on my old TiBook.

Is this 'reluctance to sleep' widespread?

7. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

how do you know it has restarted if the lid is closed? (not trying to be a smart ass) do you hear the fans? Open it up and it's running? Heat?

8. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

after it restarts it goes to sleep. the system is entirely stock, only a couple weeks old. it's annoying because any open files are closed w/o saving.

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Could be a pinched wire in the hinge, or something of the sort. I suggest taking it to a Genius Bar and getting it worked out...if the problem doesn't present immediately, leave it with them overnight.

10. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

My Macbook wouldn't sleep when I closed the lid unless I pushed down on the left had side of the lid. I had to send it in to Apple for repair. A replacement logic board seemed to do the trick. I shot a camera phone video of the problem for those who are interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtUr0hgQK9s

11. arnolf macrumors newbie

i had the same issues

apple changed my battery and the problem is solved.

12. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Try giving your macbook some sleeping pills. ;) :p

13. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I have the same problem. My Macbook is a completely stock C2D Blackbook. It seems to only occur after I have been using it a lot and it has gotten hot...(when i say using it, I mean for a few hours at a time). I always save everything before I close the lid to put it to sleep, as a result. Probably should have done that anyway I guess. I have only had mine a few weeks and it has only done it three times that I can recall, but it scared me the first time because I have been doing extensive work on my thesis and could not remember if I had saved or not. Fortunately, I had.

Anyway, we have had one suggestion that it might be the battery. Anyone else have any ideas? It seems to work perfectly right otherwise?:confused:

14. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

It's not just MPB's that do it, my desktop G5 does it as well, it will sometimes cycle through the sleep and start process 3 or 4 times when I try to shut it down for the night.

I've tried a number of things to address it, the only thing I'm left with is the possibility that a connected device like a router or other peripheral wakes it up by sending either a ping or some type of other admin/shutdown task? Maybe a USB hub? I know that neither of these options make sense, it's the one quirk in an otherwise perfect record of dependability for my G5.

15. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Mine is not connected to anything, even a power supply, when it does it. Or at least it hasn't been yet.

16. kamkaz macrumors newbie

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

18. guitarmaster18 macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

19. guitarmaster18 macrumors regular

guitarmaster18

Well, I got my macbook three weeks and I thought it was great, but then I got really scared when I heard about the RSS (Random Shutdown Syndrome) about 2 weeks ago. So, It freaked me out when mine restarted while sleeping (only happened once). So, I called up AppleCare and they said it was a glitch with the PMU. Basicly, the PMU thought that the MB was getting too hot, so it decided to restart itself. So, I resetted the PMU and I have not had the problem for about a week. Well, maybe I just have a newer macbook... When did you buy yours?