Macbook stand

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by virtual, Oct 10, 2006.

1. virtual macrumors member

Sep 30, 2006
    I intend to keep my MacBook on 24/7, however the bottom got quite hot after 72+ hours. I have been looking at stands and there seems to be 2 that stand in in forums, the iCurve and the CoolerMaster Notepal.

Now, I still want to use my MacBook whilst it is on the stand, I don't want to use an external keybord and mouse. This brings the Notepal into the forground. However, I am slightly confused about the Notepal; does it require its own AC power adapter, does it run off USB from my Macbook, or does it rely upon batteries? Also, how noisy is it? I read 24Db on their site, however I have no idea how loud a decibel is :p How noisy in relation to other things is this?

My problem however is that I prefer the design of the iCurve, but will it elevate the MacBook too high to operate without external Peripherals? Does anyone have any figures on the heat reduction?

I live in the UK, and so am also looking for a good place to get them, PCWorld has the Notepal for £25, but am having trouble finding the iCurve.

If you have read this far, then gosh, thanks! What do you think I should do?

P.S. I also hear people saying "My MacBook runs at 52C", "My MacBook runs at 40C" etc. etc. However whenever I run iStatPro it says that I do not have any temperature sensors. Are the temperature sensors only on the 2.0GHz MacBook and the Pro?
  2. MacBook'06 macrumors member

Jun 10, 2006
    Cardiff, Wales
    decibel chart from:

40 Residential area at night
    30 Theatre, no talking
    20 Whispering
    10 Human breathing at 3 m (10 ft)

So it would run a little louder than a whisper
  3. JDN macrumors 6502a

Sep 7, 2006
    Lund Sweden {London England}
    you need to download CoreDuoTemp to get the temp sensors to work in iStat
  4. virtual thread starter macrumors member

Sep 30, 2006
    Luvily jubly, worked a treat. :D

However, anyone know which stand would be better for me, use wise and temperature wise?

5. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2005
    Why not try an iLap? It only provides passive cooling, like the iCurve, but it's better than nothing, and it'll probably be cheaper than some of the powered alternatives out there.

Way to read!
  6. virtual thread starter macrumors member

Sep 30, 2006
    I actually looked at the iLap and thought it was good. However the price is $49, plus $42.90 for delivery, I live in England - ouch.
  7. cschreppel macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2006
    Boston, MA
    The iCurve is a great stand, especially when used with an external display...keeps the top of the laptop aligned (or close to it) with the external display. Haven't had much experience with anything else. But yeah, the iCurve is sweet. Used it with my TiBook for a long time, but got more use out of my PowerMac G4 tower for audio post production work. However, now I'm back to my new MacBook...need to mount it on the iCurve soon.