Macbook starts with grey screen/ apple logo and then shuts down

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by angelamac, Oct 19, 2011.

1. angelamac, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So when I try to start up it makes the usual sound, the grey screen with the apple logo appears, and after the circle spins for a while it just shuts down to black. I have a macbook from early 2008. I tried the following:

command+s
    Then I did :
    /sbin/fsck -fy

This is what appeared:
    disk0s2: I/o error
    Invalid node structure
    (4, 73)
    **volume check failed
    /dev/rdisk0s2 (hfs) EXITED WITH SIGNAL 8
    ./ root#

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Is my laptop toast?

2. tug
    macrumors 6502

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Not at all what I was hoping to hear:( Will I probably need to buy a whole new laptop?

4. macrumors regular

no you will only need to buy a new HARD DRIVE

5. macrumors regular

ppfd

I'm no expert but, did you try and restart with your OS disc?

6. macrumors newbie

When you press the Power button, press command+v or command+shift+v. That worked for me :)

7. macrumors newbie

Same Problem

My macbook has the same issue - switch on, get grey screen, apple icon and the start of the timimg bar then swtiches itself off. Only info I can find is:

Incorrect number of file hard links
    bad hard link connection
    (It should be 3372371817 instead of 3440012734)
    Hard Link record has data extenets (id+4637640).

I have no idea what any of this means but need to get into the computer asap.....any ideas?

8. macrumors newbie

Did you resolve the problem?? It happened to me today... Everything that is mentioned above. Please tell me it can be fixed... :(

9. macrumors regular

robpow

I had this when my HD got corrupted. Boot from an OS X install DVD, select disk utility and then verify or repair disk.

10. macrumors newbie

Thanks! Does it matter if my install DVD is for Snow Leopard and my actual Lion Mountain was downloaded from appstore? How do I upgrade then?

P.S. So if it doesn't help, I need a new hard drive?

11. macrumors newbie

Hmm answering my own question I guess back up will help me to restore everything if needed..

12. macrumors newbie

I'm trying to boot from Snow Leopard DVD but nothing happens! Disk is making a sound like it's trying to get started but the monitor is still grey and then it shuts down like always... :confused:

13. macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Ever find a solution? I have a friend who is experiencing the same issues, I am assuming it's her HDD which I will replace when I see her but would love some kind of clarity or update if anything else was discovered about this.

14. macrumors newbie

This is a simple problem with a simple solution. Basically you have a corrupt file system in your OS that is causing it not to load. Although I have never found a precise cause as to how this happens, it's possible that a third party app could be causing the problem. The only thing that can be done at this point is to do a destructive OS restore. You do not have a bad HDD. I work at a repair center and I see this everyday and it actually seems to be a pretty common issue, so don't freak out. As long as you have your files backed up, you should be fine and your computer will be back to new in about a half hour or so.

15. macrumors newbie

booting problem

KatyaGrinfeld,

I am having the same issue where it shuts itself down when trying to boot to the DVD. Did you ever resolve your issue?