Macbook Stolen!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peanut48, Sep 26, 2006.

1. peanut48 macrumors regular

Hi all..my white macbook 13 2.0 GHZ was stolen from my melbourne home and its serial no is 4H6306XQU9E...i dont have insurance...i have reported the serial no to the cops....is thr anyway i can recover it? if anyone comes across it pls do report it as stolen...:(

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I'd check area pawn shops..

I'm sorry it happened. :(

Good luck. :):)

3. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

really sorry to hear about this

Just like our mobile phones can be rendered useless via the serial - there should be a free / standard way our computers can be rendered useless as well - in a similar fashion.

There are ways to protect your computer however now - but not after the fact here - and I'm unsure of the success rate of those services anyway.

Again - really sorry to hear this, did you get anything else stolen?

Edit: for future reference - this is a interesting read
    http://www.itinsurance.com.au/upload/Documents/Custinfo Sheet.pdf

4. peanut48 thread starter macrumors regular

thanx guys...this has really upset me....another dell laptop was also stolen along with a digital camera and mobile phone to name a few....i know i wont ever see my macbook but i'm prayin for a miracle...

5. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

yeah it's tough - thinking of you

keep an eye on eBay and Cash Converters etc - perhaps call around and provide the serial to local pawn shops in case it turns up

6. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

So sorry man!!!

I guess the most painful part is loosing all of the data, did you have any backup.

I hate mean people:mad: , who do they think they are anyways. You and I go to work everyday and make an honest living and then these lazy ***holes come along and do something like this.

I saw a group of teenageres a couple of months ago scratching up cars, what are these people thinking?

Anyways, I feel for you.

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It would also be a good idea to report Apple the stolen serial. If anyone sends it in for a repair, they will be able to see that it is stolen goods.

8. ripfrankwhite macrumors regular

ripfrankwhite

Sorry to hear about that. Next time be sure to install a recovery program. That can improve your chances.

9. discounteggroll macrumors 6502

discounteggroll

im really sorry to hear that. I work for apple, and 2 pieces of software I always refer (especially college customers) to are: Lo-Jack and Undercover

http://orbicule.com/undercover/

http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/

for around $30-50, your computer is safe against theft from the everyday criminal. keep in mind that the computer MUST connect to some kind of network in order to be found. if the theif automatically removes the hard drive (and is smart about it) then thats a different story, but for the vast majority of criminals out there, they wont think that there is any theft software installed or enabled.

10. Mydriasis macrumors 6502

Mydriasis

hhmmm... I like that undercover thing! Sending pictures of the criminals, hihi:p .

Lets hope none of us will ever need it.

11. viperguy macrumors 6502

If this guy is going to sell it on ebay, you have no chance of ever finding it again.
    I think :(

12. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Sorry to hear about that :( Unfortunately, your laptop is probably gone, never to be seen again. It sucks that we live in a world where laptop locks are nearly mandatory for security.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

14. YoNeX macrumors regular

YoNeX

In essence it should work. It pretty much calls home (Lo-Jack HQ).

But if you are really clever, you can create a script that phones home, your website with the IP, date, and time. Then once you get that information, call up the local ISP and see if they are willing to handover the information for the person, then you should be able to find the culprit. (Same technique that Lo-Jack uses)

15. peanut48 thread starter macrumors regular

thanx everyone but thrs nuthin i could do wit these softwares or programs now...its gone my precious :(

16. leftfoot macrumors regular

leftfoot

God what is with everyone getting their **** jacked?

Sorry for your loss man, getting stuff stolen sucks, I hate theifs :mad:

17. bossass macrumors regular

LoJack is so the goverment can track you. Suckers.

Seriously, take that $50ish bucks for a year subscription and get renters insurance for like $120 a year. It'll cover your laptop (and you can schedule it again all theft and damage for another $15 or so) AND all your other junk. You should be backing up data and who would want their laptop back after some scumbag had it for a while. Not me. Just give me a new one please.

18. steve jr. macrumors 6502

well, if it makes you feel any better, it may be covered by your homeowner's insurence. i know my stuff up to a certain $ amount in my college dorm room is covered under my parents house deductable. doesnt help the lost data, but may get you a new computer. worth a shot.

19. EMAGDNIM macrumors member

EMAGDNIM

For real...this is the third topic I've come across today about stolen macs...

Sorry to hear about your loss...

20. generik macrumors 601

generik

Was your home broken into?

Melbourne eh... sucks considering I might eventually move there. Didn't know crime is that bad there :mad:

21. Pr0jkt macrumors regular

dude i'm so sorry to hear that your macbook got stolen, i treat my mbp like my daughter i'd kill anyone who wanted to mess with it. again i'm sorry

22. generik macrumors 601

generik

Everyone should give serious consideration to these.

As an added bonus if the battery in your MBP explodes, it won't take out the rest of your home with it. ;)

23. n8236 macrumors 65816

Wow, i keep running into threads of ppl's laptops being stolen.

I'm typically very paranoid about mine and watch it like a hawk.

Sry 'bout ur loss.

24. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I really feel your pain. The b@stards need stringing up.

Let's hope the Macbook gets the RSD :(

25. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am also curious to know how the actual recovery process works. Finding the IP address and getting snap shots of the jack*** who stole is one thing; sending in the law enforcement authority to arrest that ****head is another.
    Does law enforcement actuall act on the tips and info those software companies provide them?