Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mistnycegai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Okay I encountered several problems and tried fixing them myself with info from this and other forums.

I Bought this macbook on craigslist and it hadn't been reset.

1.First I didn't have the password to install new applications. I couldn't figure anything out but to reinstall the OS and wipe the HD after backing everything up. But stupid me forgot that I need that password to do that. So I tried to boot through the disk by restarting the mac and holding the option key. But there was firmware password set which I also didn't know.

2. Then I thought I'd just remove the HD put it into an external encasing and manually wipe it on a different computer which I did. And then I thought since it's already out and I have access to it and I installed Snow Leopard onto the HD via USB. Then I replaced it back into the the macbook. It then wouldn't boot and stayed on a gray screen. And it kept flashing a folder with a question mark on it.

3. So i tried booting with restarting and the option button held down again. But surprise surprise the firmware password was still in place. Then I figured out away through one of these forums to remove one of the RAM cards and do a reset PRAM thing. Which worked and the password setting was gone, but now it just won't boot at all and keeps telling me to restart the computer.

4. I try a whole bunch of different things. First thing was the option thing again. It gets far enough to show me the HD is there and the install CD is there but when I try to boot through either one it tells me to restart in multiple languages. I tried doing a reset pram again. Try to boot to the CD holding down "C" Try to do a safeboot holding the the shift key. Replacing the memory sticks. I even tried to test it with an extra HD that I know is fuctioning that I have. No luck, anything ends up to the gray screen telling me to restart the computer. I'm now stuck and have no Idea what to do.

This has never happened to me before. I also have a macbook pro that I've upgraded the HD and RAM to multiple times and I've never encountered this with that before. I figured I just resetted everything on the macbook what other thing went wrong?

I acknowledge something may have gone wrong through taking the computer apart. I've tried replacing everything so I came to a conclusion that there may be something wrong with the logic board which I also came across on other forums. Would it be worth it to buy a new logic board and try to replace it myself?

The reason I want to do this myself is because I just read a horror story of someone buying a macbook on craigslist and brining it in for repairs and they took it away because it was stolen merchandise and the guy was out $1700. I didn't spend that much but I don't want it taken away. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

mistnycegai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I've also just now tried connecting that HD with the OS installed into it through USB to the macbook and booting from there. But to no avail, "You need to restart your computer..."

mistnycegai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Okay i just confirmed the RAM and HD are functioning by putting them into another mac. There is definitely something else wrong with the macbook. Just can't figure out what.

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
okay, this is just a thought, but do you think the mac has been stolen and somebody is out for a qiuck buck or several hundred! seems strange that somebody would sell their comp without wiping all their stuff off it!
also there is security software such as 'prey' for instance that you can programme to lock the machine if hardware is tampered with!
i hope this is not the case for you my friend, but it sounds a bit fishy to me.

just a thought. :eek:

mistnycegai

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
The thought hadn't crossed my mind until i came across that one thread about the stolen computer being taken away from a user after taking it in for repairs. But it might be the case. I've tried contacting the seller but no response.

So there are security programs that can render a device useless if hardware is tampered with? I never knew that before. I'm guessing there's no known way around it for normal users like me. T-T I guess last resort would be taking it in for service because I'll be out on money anyways if I can't use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.