MacBook Suddenly Restarts

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

My 1.83 MacBook suddently restarts (about once a week now). There is no rhyme or reason when this happens. I'm thinking it's the RAM (TechWorks). Anyone else ever experience this problem. Was it due to bad RAM?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, have you tried taking the RAM out? :)

Does the machine actually restart or does it just freeze (maybe kernel panic), forcing you to restart it?

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

4. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

bodeh6

Do what Mad Jew said. That way you can check if it is bad RAM.

5. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G4

Chupa Chupa

No, not yet. The restart is so random and I really don't want to live on 512MB for a week.

Yes, it actually restarts.

6. PieMac macrumors 6502a

I was in the middle of surfing last night and mine did the same thing...screen went blank and it restarted on it's own. I've got 2GB of matched Samsung RAM installed with no issues whatsoever since day one (bought mine the beginning of March).
    Just curious if this has been figured out...?

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And can we clarify in future model/machine correctly. It's missleading to all those who have just bought a macbook. :)

It does sound like a ram problem though, it's worth running with 512mb just to check, we cant do that for you. That's the first thing to do and hence going to plan B when we havent executed plan A is a bit pointless.

8. PieMac macrumors 6502a

Mine is one of the first MBP's out the door-the 2ghz 15". RAM isn't the issue...i've already checked that out. At this point I am going to try and not worry about it...unless it happens again.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Anything to do with the SMC firmware update I wonder?

10. PieMac macrumors 6502a

Hmmmm...didn't think about that...

11. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Get yourself a copy of memtest and run it. It's helped me identify numerous memory problems that were not found by the useless Apple Hardware Test CD.

12. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Bingo. When my RAM gets here on Wed i will put it in, see if the computer recognizes it and then run Memtest just to throughly test it. After my past RAM problems with my TiPB, running Memtest is my standard operating procedure.

13. stefan15 macrumors regular

An even better idea is to download Ultimate Boot CD and get a few other diagnostic tools as well.

You will want to use Memtest 86+. Could be faulty memory modules. Intel boards tend to simply restart the system during overheating occaisionally as well.