Macbook, Super drive won't play audio cd's.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Whop!, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Whop! macrumors newbie

Aug 12, 2009
    Maybe this has been on the forum before, but I could not find anything about it. Am I the only one with the following problem?

The last couple of months my 2 year old white Macbook does not read audio cd's anymore. Once in a while it will load one, most of the time the first after a restart, but after that every audio cd will be ejected after several attempts of my superdrive to load the cd. Data cd and dvd's play just fine, and cd-r's can also be burned, no problems there.

Hope somebody can help me...
  2. l.a.rossmann macrumors 6502a

May 15, 2009
    Buy a UJ-857-C off ebay for $80 and put it in.
  3. gillboyswims96 macrumors regular

Jun 19, 2009
    i would say the easiest thing to do would be call apple or go to an apple store... they will know what to do :)
  4. lordthree macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2009
    I think the rossman is right. You're going to prolly have to shell out for a uj-857. Apple will charge you like 200$ but you can get one cheaper elsewhere.
  5. Farley macrumors member

Jan 14, 2008
    possible solution

I had the same problem - wouldn't play CD's yet would play DVD's and read CD-RW. I sprayed canned compressed air into the slot and it seemed to solve the problem. The CD's may be more sensitive to dust. I really don't know but it worked.
  6. dlemus macrumors newbie

Feb 4, 2009
    I have the same problem but just with Warner Music CDs ... Googling about it I have found 1 or 2 other people reporting the same problem ... and it just happens with Warner.

Does anyone have a solution for this? :(
  7. CatsTide macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2012
    Is it country or rap music?