Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
We sent my girlfriend's MacBook into Apple after problems like whine, mooing (fixed after firmware) speakers popping and the screen failing after a restart.

They started working on the MacBook on the 8th of September, it's now the 28th, and my girlfriend receives an email from Apple telling her that her repair is now on hold as they are waiting for a part...

How can it take this long? Is it likely to be the Logic Board they are repairing or is it the screen?

It looks like it will amount to about a month in total (maybe even more), is this acceptable?

She starts her 3rd year in University on Monday, without her laptop...!

Rich.

sunfast

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2005
Hey Rich

That's pretty piss poor. I don't know what amount of time counts as unnacceptable in their eyes, but I would be on the phone giving them both barrels...

"Faulty product, need it for work (over egg it a bit), paid all this money, rubbish service, demand a loan or replacement unit if it can't be returned fixed asap"

Good luck!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
How can they possibly wait so long for a part? Remind them that it takes way less time to build a new computer than for them to "receive a part".

Further remind them that you have paid with a credit card (I assume) and you have not received the goods you have paid for yet (a long shot but I will stick with it) and unless you receive resolution of this matter by *certain date* your CC card company is going to hear about it.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Well, i guess we will have to just phone and complain.

I am really disapointed for her, and she is upset as she really does need it.

I suppose i will have to loan her my PowerBook, i graduated before summer and it's not essential for me.

It's easy to find the words to say off the phone, but when you're speaking to someone, and they're really helpful, it's hard to be angry with them/Apple.

Thanks for the advice, i will let you know what they replaced when it comes back.

Eventually.

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Just an update.

The MacBook is back to us, a month and one day later.

The parts replaced were:

LCD
Module (EDIT: 607-0142 - Heatsink)
Fan
Top Case
Bezel
I/O Shield

Now, after hold ups, cock ups, and delivery mistakes, Apple were not in our good books.

My girlfriend wrote a letter/email of complaint, and was contacted by a customer service representative.

She received a gift from Apple. A brand new iPod Nano 2G in silver.

Not bad at all.

Now we have a new problem, the speakers buzz as soon as a sound is played, like emptying the trash can.

Shame, we are back on the phone.

Rich.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
fatsoforgotso said:
My girlfriend wrote a letter/email of complaint, and was contacted by a customer service representative.

She received a gift from Apple. A brand new iPod Nano 2G in silver.

I think Apple is gonna be busy all of a sudden! :D

*Goes to look for pen and paper*

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Another update:

The MacBooks sound card is faulty, the speakers emit an annoying buzz when a sound effect or sound file is played.

When restarting the MacBook, we had a screen full of multi coloured vertical lines.

This is outrageous.

Apple are picking it back up tomorrow.

I'm guessing it's the Logic/Motherboard this time.

All agree?

Rich.

grahamtearne

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
fatsoforgotso said:
Another update:

The MacBooks sound card is faulty, the speakers emit an annoying buzz when a sound effect or sound file is played.

When restarting the MacBook, we had a screen full of multi coloured vertical lines.

This is outrageous.

Apple are picking it back up tomorrow.

I'm guessing it's the Logic/Motherboard this time.

All agree?

Rich.

My friends MacBook has just suffered its 2nd random shutdown while we were at college today (both happened today at college within minutes of each other). I reset the PMU and downloaded 10.4.8 update for him, everything seemed to be fine until we restarted after the 10.4.8 update, when we got those horizontal lines that you speak of. I then reset the PRAM and everything has been fine since (only been about 5 hours I know) but after several issues within 2hrs, it seems like it is going ok again now. Try reseting the PRAM, may fix the horizontal lines.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Call and demand a replacement. Don't let them do a repair again as it will just take forever again. Tell them all you went through, reference the letter that was written, and do not take no for an answer. If it comes down to it, contact someone from corporate relations.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
Yes, that isn't acceptable. Demand a replacement. Don't be rude or anything, just nice but firm. Explain the whole situation and that it's important your girlfriend has a reliable computer as quickly as possible.

I hope you get it all sorted soon, it sounds pretty terrible! :eek:

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Chrispy said:
Call and demand a replacement. Don't let them do a repair again as it will just take forever again. Tell them all you went through, reference the letter that was written, and do not take no for an answer. If it comes down to it, contact someone from corporate relations.

The thing is, now this MacBook has had all of the new parts, it's a good idea to keep this one, to save from going through it again with an off the shelf replacement.

The replacement could still have the whine, the old heatsink causing shutdowns, and the old bezel/top case with the staining.

Tricky situation. I think my girlfriend just wants to keep this MacBook, but get it back asap.

Thanks all for the comments and advice, we'll be sure to kick up a bit of a storm, but politely.

Rich.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Another update, should be the last one.

Apple Customer Relations have contacted my girlfriend and been really great about everything. Very apologetic, and understanding.

They offered her an outright replacement (about time) and she told them she was worried about the problems repeating.

Now, Apple assured her that the new MacBooks recently built, all have the new bezels, new screens and new heatsinks.

Apple have been listening! All MacBooks being built are built with the redesigned Rev. B components.

Hope this helps anyone in doubt.

I hope I don't have to update this again, but maybe I will when the MacBook arrives and all is well.

Rich.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
fatsoforgotso said:
Another update, should be the last one.

Apple Customer Relations have contacted my girlfriend and been really great about everything. Very apologetic, and understanding.

They offered her an outright replacement (about time) and she told them she was worried about the problems repeating.

Now, Apple assured her that the new MacBooks recently built, all have the new bezels, new screens and new heatsinks.

Apple have been listening! All MacBooks being built are built with the redesigned Rev. B components.

Hope this helps anyone in doubt.

I hope I don't have to update this again, but maybe I will when the MacBook arrives and all is well.

Rich.

This is good service. Just sorry it took so long.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
fatsoforgotso said:

I picked up a Black Macbook from Currys online last month. I purchased it off them becuase they're 30 quid cheaper than Apple and I had a 10 percent discount code (PRICERN02 - in case anyone else wants a new BlackBook for 899! Bl**dy good saving.). Anyway I was worried it might be old stock but when it came, according to coconut, it was only built 4 weeks earlier and (touch wood) I've had no issues at all with it.

Temperature is fine. No random shutdowns. Screen is fine. No moo or whine.

Steve

TaylorB

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2006
Wow! All of this is amazing. I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of the problems with Apple, Rich. On the other side, I'm happy that Apple Customer Service actually understands their customers. That is pretty awesome that you got a Nano out of it and a brand new MacBook. I hope this one does great for you and you have no more problems! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.