MacBook temperature concerns

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shadow, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I have just bought a MacBook-and it is wonderful-no mooing or anything. However, there is one small problem-heat. I have run some tests and its maxiumum seems to be about 78°C-is this normal (this was while importing through iTunes w/ MP3 encoder and Cinema 4D rendering.

Thanks!

EDIT: It seems to idle around 56°C-although this may not be entirley accurate-I am working in Pages and Keynote.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

My MacBook 2.0 usually lies around 65°C in normal use, measured with CoreDuoTemp, but yesterday, when I tested out ripping a DVD, twice with different settings, using Handbrake the temperature raised to 85°C and stayed there for the duration of the ripping (~40 min + ~90 min). The fans were on all the time, but were hardly audible over normal TV sound... :)

Seconds after the second ripping was completed the temperature sank down in the low 70s and the fans shut down...

3. Shadow thread starter macrumors 68000

Shadow

My dad won't order the extra RAM (even tho I'm paying) until he's convinced that it wont break-like we can't take it back:cool: ). Its a bit annoying how the MB is warm (he says its the warmest laptop he's ever seen.

When using Pages, Keynote and Safari it seems to idle at ~ 50°C-but its just gone down to 48:eek:!

EDIT: My MacBook seems to emit some kind of high-pitch sound. Is this a drive? It better not be mooing :mad:

EDIT x2: Its not the MacBook thats making the noise, its the power brick?! Might get this looked at...

4. Copland macrumors regular

Copland

Yup, that's a recorded issue with some macbook's power bricks. A search on this site should give you a couple threads of people with similar problems.

It's not mooing, BTW. You'd know, since it sounds like a moo.:)