Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NateCourtright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
I have read numerous threads about this but I feel my case is a little different. People get concerned about their macbook temperature when it hits 65. Mine consistently hits 95-100 Celsius. I can barely have it on my lap. I try and ventilate on hard surface and it doesn't work.

My 3 year apple care ran out a while back.

suggestions?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
What are you doinng with it?

If it's 95oC when nothing is running that's very odd! If you are rendering HD video whilst watching YouTube then it's to be expected.

NateCourtright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
I'm just watching videos when it get's real hot. Youtube or netflix. Not at same time. Never gets below 65 C sitting still. If it's open it's hot.

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
YouTube is flash, which is terrible on a Mac. Opt into HTML5 beta, for use clicktoflash to help.

Never getting below 65oC is a bit odd. How much processing power is being used normally? Any processes using a lot of power? Are the fans running at 2000RPM plus? iStat Pro can tell you easily and it's free.

NateCourtright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
My fan speed is 6000+rpm

and here are my processes

2eedf6r.png

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Chrome is killing your MacBook - especially the Silverlight plug-in

What are you doing in Chrome ??

No surpasses that your temperatures are so high - Chrome is using over 100% of one of the cores...

Kil Chrome and then see what happens to your temps and fan speed.

NateCourtright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
Silverlight plug-in for Netflix

other than that just 5 tabs with gmail, facebook, 2 message boards

NateCourtright

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2011
So I killed Chrome and it helped but is that normal with chrome? I mean I LOVE chrome and hate safari and firefox comparatively and can't go back

accessoriesguy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Do you live in a dessert? you can expect more heat at hotter places.

Do what I do every year or so (for laptops once every 2 years for desktops). Open it up, clean it out with a duster. Then go onto doing a complete restore from scratch. Re-install only the important stuff, BOOM storage and performance is like new. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.