Macbook Texture

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by darwen, Jul 29, 2006.

1. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Hey Guys,

This might come across as an obvious question for most but I have completely forgotten this. What is the difference on outside texture between the black and white macbooks? Are the white ones still shiny like the previous ibooks? I hated the aluminum on my powerbook, I would have bought an ibook if it had better specs.

I am about to by a macbook and speed is not a big deal to me (I have a dual 2.0 G5). I just want a quality good looking laptop. I am not a big fan of the shinny stuff because it shows its wear and tear more than others.

It would be a no brainer if I could buy a low end black macbook but now I am depating if it is worth it for the extra $350 for a matte finish (referbished prices). If the white one has a matte finish I might be happy with it. Can anyone offer some advice?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

The white ones are shiny just like the old iBooks. If you must have matte, black is your only option.

(And really, I can see why--white would look odd in matte, while black would show scratches like nobody's business.)

Edit:
    One suggestion: If it's the scratches that bother you, have you looked into that Invisible Shield product? It's a stick-on more-or-less shiny coating that is apparently neigh-impossible to scratch. Could make a white MB as tough as you're hoping for... and if it does scratch, you can always peel it off and get another.

http://www.shieldzone.com/

Looks like $55 for a set that covers pretty much everything, including the wrist rests.

3. darwen thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwen

thanks

Yeah, I just went into the specs page comparing the macbook with the macbook pro and it stated it was shiny. I guess you are right, I should just get the white and the sheild, I will stop by the apple store again.

The black does look good though, I saw that kevin has one on Diggnation now. It looks amazing being used. The funny thing is I hated the idea of the black iPod but now I want a black macbook.