MacBook Thin is on the way?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Minico88, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Minico88 macrumors newbie

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I doubt it... at least, not at macworld, and not with those specs in a thinner-than-1-inch package.

3. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

4. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

We've already ruled out Mac os rumors as a total BS website. They've even been accused of making up rumors to get traffic. I wouldnt take anything they say to heart. However, i do believe there is a new 12 inch coming from Apple sometime soon.

5. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I highly doubt this portable coming out at MWSF. However, I could see it coming out sometime in 2007. If it came out by say, next September, that would be great!

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

7. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

8. macjay macrumors 6502

9. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It would. Or rather for me, it is. Only it's highly unlikely Apple would get the manufacturing sorted out like Sony the first time around - hell, they still can't even get the Alubook down pat.

10. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Hmmm I still think that ultra portable and the full core 2 duo chips can't be in the same device.

I think it's more likely that they'll use the upcoming (in Jan 2007) L7400 at 1.5GHz (it has a full C2D 4 MB cache, low power) in a 'thin' laptop.

I based my black c2d macbook purchase on the fact that this wouldn't be that useful a laptop for me. That and the fact that it's technically Rev A hardware and we all know about that these days don't we.

I'll be selling the macbook if this is a full (2.33GHz) small MBP though (having owned two 12" powerbooks).

I guess we'll see soon enough.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I just don't see this happening. While people are saying they would buy this, I don't think enough would want this machine. And a lot of people would be better off just getting the MacBook rather than the MacBook thin - which, by the way, is one ****** name so far.

12. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Hmmm, the 12" powerbook is a rediculously popular machine though. The macbook is not a pro machine (even in terms of fit and finish, which is natural given the price point). I'd say there's a massive market for a small MBP.

If you mean for a 1.5GHz ultaportable with, say, integrated graphics (to keep battery life up), then I might agree with you.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Only that ultraportables do command a price premium in the PC world.

That Sony isn't even that thin. Apple could do way better than that, charge a premium (within reason) over the normal MBP and still be onto a winner.

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's called tax.

:rolleyes:

You wish. Although I'm sure the comparatively badly put together, problematic, very pretty result will be a winner in the eyes of drooling Apple fanboys :rolleyes:

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, if you compare UK and US prices, the equivalent US pricing is almost always much, much lower than the GBP converted to USD.... Something that sells for 1700 pounds will probably be closer to $2000 US.

Poor lot over there. Between that and your awful girly pop music... :eek: :p

Seriously...if Apple does make an ultra-portable, though, God, just start the "I can get a Dell for $xxx, why should I buy this???" threads now. It's going to command premium pricing. And I'm probably still going to buy it. ;)

17. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Me too. And I'll still bitch about the inevitable problems :rolleyes:

About bloody time Apple had something that gets close to my SZ2VP.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It just wouldn't be MacRumors without it. ;)

19. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Not C2D, forget it...

:)

Any discussion of Apple hardware is going to be tinged by the fact they've royally screwed up with the first wave of intel hardware. I'm even not super-impressed with the macbook (though for 850 quid for the black one I'm not moaning too hard).

Even though I'd really like a small mbp I wouldn't jump on one straight away. I'd wait a few months to see what problems I'd have to contend with. This can't be good for Apple to have a even a small part of their market thinking like this.

20. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I agree, carbon fiber would be the only thing they could actually use that would be an improvement over the aluminum they use now. Besides, it would just look awesome.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Either that or a living organic enclosure that heals naturally from dents. :D

22. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

23. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Me wantee. :D

Seriously though, carbon should be tough enough for most situations.