MacBook to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Machead III, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Machead III macrumors 6502

Machead III

Anybody know any cheap/easy/practical means of connecting a MacBook to a TV to play videos etc. through it? I'm interested in going from the MacBook to either scart, RCA or those old aerial connectors, or all 3 preferably.

2. uchuff macrumors member

I bought one of the Monster cables that has a mini DVI and a earphone type plug at one end and S-Video and two RCA (stereo audio) the other end. I've also got a block that does S-Video and RCA to SCART. They sell the Monster cables in the Apple stores here.

3. ormandj macrumors member

4. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

Yeah I heard about that Monster cable, and while I'm sure it'd work, I thought maybe I could get cheaper, non-branded stuff that'd do the same job.

When froogling (UK) "mini-dvi to rca" the only results I get are the Apple Mini-DVI adapter.

If I were to get that adapter, I'd need a cable that went from a port on it, to this:

[​IMG]

Anyone know what such a cable might be called?

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Does doing that mean you can use a TV as your monitor?

6. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

Machead III

Yeap. I'm trying to replace my DVD player with my MacBook.

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I've heard that the picture quality isn't so good using a TV as a monitor is this true?

8. MacAnkka macrumors regular

yes.

A normal (non-HD) tv has a resolution of 640x480 (NTSC-countries, like the US) or 720x576 (PAL-countries, like most of Europe). The picture is also interlaced and refresh rate is 60hz (NTSC) or 50hz(PAL). It doesn't matter that much in movies/tv-shows, but for browsing the web (or anything that involves reading small text) the picture is simply awful.