Macbook Track Pad Clicking noise

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Electro Funk, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

have a BlackBook... just noticed today that when i touch the track pad in the middle and then lift my fingers off, it makes an annoying click noise. (it almost sound like a bug zapper) This does not happen if i touch the track pad on either side... just in the center...

have never used it in complete silence until today when i noticed it...

anyone else experience this???

on a side note.... i dont have heat problems, mooing, or whining... so i guess im sitting pretty... and if i have the tv on, or some music i dont hear it at all... but in complete silence this is driving me CRAZY!!!!!

Edit: now i am noticing it where ever i touch the track pad.... not just the center:confused:

2. river0 macrumors newbie

Click-Bar Trouble

I received my black MacBook two weeks ago and quickly discovered my typing skills had slipped tremendously. But after somehow double-clicking and thereby marking a paragraph and DELETING IT, I started to pay very close attention to the track pad. My track pad works great--NO clicking noise anywhere of any kind.

But I do have a major problem with the click-bar part of the track pad. What I hadn't noticed is that the left THIRD of the click-bar does not click. In fact I can't feel it moving at all so I have no tactile feedback to confirm I've hit it. In addition, I never know whether it will take one, two, or three hits to set the cursor on the screen. I might try to avoid the left third of the click-bar completely, but it is centered on the computer itself and not on the space bar; the resulting offset means I end up using the left third of the click-pad about two-thirds of the time. Not good. The rest of the click-bar works just fine.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I'm exchanging for a new black MacBook and will be checking the new click-bar very closely.

3. rybot macrumors newbie

Macbook Click

Yep-
    Just got my Blackbook yesterday and I noticed right away-- it is almost a crinkly sound when clicked. I'm sure I will get used to it: new item- new idiosyncracies.

4. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I get that too on the second MacBook that I had received. This clinkly sound, which can also be described as a metallic clicking sound, is extremely excruciating. Makes the laptop feel very cheap. My three year old PB 12" doesn't have this annoying feature... I'm gonna call Apple, and see what they say.

5. ignissacer macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem, too. Except it's with the middle and left half of the clickbar. I've just resigned myself to clicking with the trackpad, which I prefer anyway.

Daze let us know what Apple says about the loud click, I'm curious.

6. Electro Funk thread starter macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

no doubt this is pretty annoying... let us know what apple says...

maybe ill call myself...

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

You must have someone you can talk to:D .

8. Electro Funk thread starter macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

What was that? i didnt hear you... i just got off the phone with myself...

sitting in the lazy boy and called the home phone from my cell... talked to myself for hours... we had a lot in common! :D

9. NetGX macrumors newbie

has anyone found a solution to this metallic click noise.

It is quickly driving me insane.

10. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

I get this with my 12" powerbook. I also get the noise when scrolling down a webpage (with an external mouse).

11. NetGX macrumors newbie

Physical Fault

The noise isn't made when scrolling it is a physical noise coming from when the trackpad button is being pressed.

It is like two pieces of metal clicking together and it kind of sounds like a dull but sharp ping noise. Any solutions??

12. Electro Funk thread starter macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

The noise i get does not come from the button but the trackpad itself...

whenever i raise my fingers from the trackpad i get the metallic click...

the button is perfectly silent on my macbook...

13. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Apple sent me another laptop, but had the same problem. So after going through three laptops, I decided to get a refund... I think I'll wait till the Pro series gets a new case.

14. SBik2 macrumors 6502a

SBik2

well my old ibooks ALL did that...maybe its just how apple makes them... My MacBook has the squishy trackpad (which is a problem where the trackpad doesnt make tht clikcing sound) if u look theres a way to fix it but the clikcing sound is normal i think

15. daze macrumors 6502

daze

My PB had the nicest track pad. So I guess that spoiled me, and caused me to expect perfection. If you can't expect that from Apple products, then maybe it is time to re-evaluate Apple purchases altogether.

16. Electro Funk thread starter macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i would not go that far... i see this an more of an annoyance than a physical fault/defect... my track pad works just fine... and 99.9% of the time (with any sort of background noise) i dont hear it... but if i am working in complete silece, which is almost never, i can hear it... and it is quite annoying...

i had a titanium PBG4 that did not make any trackpad noise... althouth the trackpad button on the powerbook did make a click noise.. (albeit different sounding than the sound coming from the trackpad of my macbook)

17. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

I've got a black MacBook and I don't have any problems with the trackpad or the button. Trackpad makes no noise at all and the button just makes a normal click sound when I use it.

Sorry to hear about the problems, I'm sure Apple will take care of it!

18. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Curious that 4 out of the five newbies posting on this thread (practically everyone) has three or less posts. Most curious indeed.

19. Electro Funk thread starter macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i actually have not asked apple to do anything about it... and i really dont think i plan to... ;)

20. NetGX macrumors newbie

Hmm not quite sure what your getting at, or if it even matters. Anyway i'm not returning my laptop just for a clicking noise, however having this squishy trackpad leaves alot to be desired for quality control.

Having to stuff chunks of paper between the shell and battery isn't my idea of quality for a laptop that costs nearly $2000AU.

Its a weird fault with the click, the whole left side works perfect but a tinny noise comes if I touch the right side, like two pieces of tinny metal clanking together.

21. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Different strokes for different folks. Glad you don't find a problem with yours. I forgot to mention that the laptop I sent back, also had a screw missing on the left side. Quality control issues indeed... There were a few others, like the up arrow key not always registering being pressed.

I gotta admit that, Apple was most pleasant to deal with through the whole ordeal. Excellent customer service. Almost everyone I spoke to was professional, and understanding.

22. daze macrumors 6502

daze

Different strokes for different folks. Glad you don't find a problem with yours. I forgot to mention that the laptop I sent back, also had a screw missing on the left side. Quality control issues indeed... There were a few others, like the up arrow key not always registering being pressed.

I gotta admit that, Apple was most pleasant to deal with through the whole ordeal. Excellent customer service. Almost everyone I spoke to was professional, and understanding.

23. pharmer9 macrumors newbie

Yes. Same for me. The technician at the dealer said he didn't think there was anything wrong, and was not familiar with 'the problem'. Nevertheless, they replaced the pad, bar and whole front bit. The new one is worse! Back it goes

First time I've ever had to get repairs done in 20 years of owning a Mac. Annoying.

P

24. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Gosh... just when I thought I heard of everything that is wrong with these MacBooks, something else comes about. :confused:

25. rybot macrumors newbie

My clicking noise has ceased, and I haven't had any service done to it.
    Broken in??