Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mojohojo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
is the macbook trackpad replaceable? can it be replaced free if still under waranty? there seems to be some hard stains on my trackpad

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
the trackpad is on the same plate as they keyboard, so it's not as easy as pulling it out and replacing it. If its stained and within waranty, AppleCare should do it for you.

Before you send it off, get a piece of paper towling, dampen it a bit (not so its dripping), and try to get the stain off. It might just come off easily :)

mojohojo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
What are applecare policy on replacing parts for free? if there is physical damage to the trackpad can i just ask to replace in still under warranty?

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
What are applecare policy on replacing parts for free? if there is physical damage to the trackpad can i just ask to replace in still under warranty?

I believe there is a known discoloration issue. I assume that would only apply if you've attempted to clean it yourself and it cannot be removed. I've read of Apple replacing cases in such instances.

The only way to know for sure is to call Applecare or bring it in to an Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.