Macbook turns off for no reason

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oclor, Aug 19, 2006.

1. oclor macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2006
    My macbook just turns off for no reason. I am just browsing the internet and then it turns off. This usually happens a little after I wake it up but sometimes it happens at random (like 5 mins ago). Sometimes when it turns off I try to turn it back on but it just turns off after a couple of minutes again. I thought it was the ram but I ran Remember and all tests passes. Can someone help?
  2. harisdmac macrumors member

Aug 16, 2006
    what is the production week of your macbook? (you can tell by the last two digits of the serial number)
    Just curious, since apple has been aware and should have fixed this issue in the latest models.
  3. oclor thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2006
    I just read it, but there seemed to be no solution, just call apple and pray that they fix it.
  4. oclor thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2006
    I got it a couple of days after it was released
  5. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

Jul 10, 2005
    Rocketing through the sky!
    happened to mine too, i was told it was a logic board problem, Apple replaced it and it worked fine! well until the PRAM went and now its back in for ANOTHER logic board :mad:
  6. TBi macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2005
    I just got off the phone with apple care and they said the problem is the cable from the PSU to the logic board. Which they just have to re-sit properly.
  7. oclor thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2006
    UPDATE: I called apple, they told me to re-install the ram. I did that, same thing happened. Then I put in the factory ram, the same thing happened. I called in and they took it to get it fixed. I got it back, same thing happened. Called apple, apparently all they did was take the ram out and put it back together. What the hell??? You told me to do that over the phone, I did it, didn't help, and then you do the same thing? Now i'm waiting for a box to come to ship it back to them. Hopefully this time they do something.
  8. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
  9. amccrone macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2009
    This was happening to my macbook, and it turned out that my macbook was overheating, and i downloaded macbook fan control (google.. its the first one) and once you turn up your fan speed i haven't had a problem with it turning off on me.

they told me countless amounts of time it was my logicboard and id need to buy a whole new lap top, and this simple program actually fixed it!

theres also a widget you can download that will show you your fan speed and internal temperature, but i'm not sure of where exactly to download it ( a mac technician did it for me)
  10. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2008
    Just search Google for "dashboard statistics widget"...there are a of them.
  11. Leocadia macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2009
    My iBook used to do that, reset the PMU and it was ok. Until the battery went. Sigh.
  12. protosatori macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2011
    Having the same!!! Firmware didn't work.

Hi Guys,

I dont have an Apple store in my town so It would take about 15 days without my macbook and I need it to work. I'm really in trouble.
    My battery information seems to be ok. This problem started after I upgraded to Tiger and had a HD and Ram replaced at Apple store. Now the DVD doens't work either. I have a feeling an OS issue.

Battery Information:

Model Information:
    Serial Number: DP-ASMB013-351b-aa3
    Manufacturer: DP
    Device name: ASMB013
    Pack Lot Code: 0001
    PCB Lot Code: 0000
    Firmware Version: 0102
    Hardware Revision: 0300
    Cell Revision: 0100
    Charge Information:
    Charge remaining (mAh): 65456
    Fully charged: Yes
    Charging: No

Full charge capacity (mAh): 65456
    Health Information:
    Cycle count: 645
    Condition: Good
    Battery Installed: Yes
    Amperage (mA): 124
    Voltage (mV): 12526

My DVD!!!

Firmware Revision: GA0J
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
  13. vipersarin macrumors newbie

Nov 15, 2011
    My macbook was doing the same thing, I took it into apple, they "ran some tests" and sure enough those idiots broke the macbook, now it won't even turn off. I am extremely disappointed with these "geniuses"(idiots) at apple