Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RockAgainstAss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
how doest he macbook fair for uni work? i am starting a multimedia and graphics course in september and i am lookin for a new lappy, is the 13 inch screen too small? ill also want to play a few games like WOW, im planing on getting the 2g macbook 13 inch (white)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
RockAgainstAss said:
how doest he macbook fair for uni work? i am starting a multimedia and graphics course in september and i am lookin for a new lappy, is the 13 inch screen too small? ill also want to play a few games like WOW, im planing on getting the 2g macbook 13 inch (white)

I don't know about games but my 12" iBook served me well during my degree and I did Chemistry - certainly none of the more traditional "Mac stuff" in that.

A bigger screen would have been nice (higher res, not the 14" iBook) so a MacBook would be basically perfect. Very portable, light and the Core Duo processor is a rip-snorter.

RockAgainstAss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
well ill be doing alot of onscreen drawing and editing on stuff like photoshop and flash, would the screen be a good size for this kind of thing...film editing, sound production, multimedia, photoshop etc

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
RockAgainstAss said:
well ill be doing alot of onscreen drawing and editing on stuff like photoshop and flash, would the screen be a good size for this kind of thing...film editing, sound production, multimedia, photoshop etc

Nah, probably not. That's what extra screens are for. MacBook + some sort of large LCD would be perfect, portability when you need it, large screen real estate when you need it.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
The 2GHz MacBook would do fine for your needs RockAgainstAss, but if you are going to be doing any serious gaming, I would advise stepping up to a MacBook Pro with dedicated GPU. :)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
RockAgainstAss said:
how much more is that going to skin me?

MacBook Pros start at $1,799, so only $600 more for a heck of a lot more computer (GPU, larger LCD, thinner enclosure, expansion port, aluminum casing, etc...). :)

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
RockAgainstAss said:
how much more is that going to skin me?

To save the pennies, buy the lowest spec Macbook Pro, eg 2.0GHz, 512Mb RAM, but upgrade the hard-drive to 100/120Gb if you want... Then once you've got your cheap Mac, buy 2Gb RAM from somebody like Crucial and install it. The beauty of Mac's is that you can install RAM as easy as anything, just have to remove the battery and unscrew the metal thingy and voila, there you can insert your new RAM. Or take it to an Apple store and have them fit it for you...

Doing this You can save yourself hundreds! Plus you've got a top-spec machine with a dedicated GPU, perfect for your course.
It'll be a gooid decision, I know quite a few architechs at my Uni who use them, plus its all we use in my Labs for modelling, so it should be fine for you!

Cheeers

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Mac Rules said:
The beauty of Mac's is that you can install RAM as easy as anything, just have to remove the battery and unscrew the metal thingy and voila, there you can insert your new RAM. Or take it to an Apple store and have them fit it for you...

Not so with the Macbook Pro yet, it's a bit of a challenge AFAIK, only the Macbook allows easy RAM access.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Eraserhead said:
Not so with the Macbook Pro yet, it's a bit of a challenge AFAIK, only the Macbook allows easy RAM access.

Actually, the Macbook Pro's RAM upgrade procedure is pretty much exactly as Mac Rules describes.

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
RockAgainstAss said:

None of the programs you want to use are available as UBs except Final Cut, if that's what you use for film editing so that's something to consider. Also the screen space is on the Macbook is very limited. My friend who does the same stuff that you wanna do has a 17 inch powerbook and she still hooks it up to an external monitor whenever possible.

RockAgainstAss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2006
what about these LCDs? if i had any problem id buy one of them, what should i go for? got any links? how do they work lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.