MacBook Update in October

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by NextTuesday, Sep 8, 2006.

1. NextTuesday macrumors member

Hey hey guys and girls of MacRumors.

I had to send my PowerBook in to an Apple Service Center in Cork (neighbouring county btw, no Apple places in Kerry :( ) I was talking to the Woman about getting a MacBook rather than paying 800+ euro for a repair, she told me that they have a few more in stock but they won't be ordering because there are newer models coming in October :D

I know (from reading the forums for a few months before joining) that some people might not believe this rumour and thats OK. Just wanted to get the Rumour out there.

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Interesting info, but I would doubt that's true, very very few people in Apple are aware when new models are approaching, hell most of the call centre reps were unaware of new products even after they've been announched, it usually takes a day or so. Plus Apple are notoriously secretive regarding new products and release dates, so even if someone did know, they're probably under a NDA preventing them from divulging such information

3. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

Not that it sounds totally unbelievable but WHY would the rep. bother to tell you that in the first place? If the store had, " a few more in stock" then why wouldn't they sell you one. That is what doesn't make sense to me.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

For the one-thousandth time, Apple Store employees know nothing about future product releases. Apple keeps them in the dark. As a result, her comment is absolutely meaningless and no stock should e put into it. :cool:

5. matttrick macrumors 6502

she probably talks about things with her coworkers, and since that is a rumor going around i could see why she would say that.

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Low stock and no new supply coming, for someone who works at the merchant, is pretty much a commonsense clue that a new model is coming. The only other explanation would be a parts shortage or some sort, which I think can be ruled out given the length of time the MacBook has been in production.

Just my take.

7. NextTuesday thread starter macrumors member

I've got an iMac coming next week, so I'm going to hold out on the MacBook 'till October, just to be sure... Or how completely positive are you that an Apple Service Center/Reseller wouldn't know about updates?

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

If there are no updates until October, then it would be purely by coincidence. For the thousand-and-first time, they don't know. This has been discussed many times over, to death I might add, on these Forums so I'm pretty confident. Read through old threads on the same topic if you want more proof.

9. dizastor macrumors 6502a

dizastor

on an almost completely unrelated note NextTuesday is perhaps the best macrumors username ever IMHO.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I agree.

The employee probably just meant a new shipment of Macbooks, not a new model.

11. atomize22 macrumors newbie

There could be some substance to this. I just ordered a Macbook. I was assuming that only the MBP was getting Merom so I wasn't going to wait around until the free iPod offer for students expired.

Anyway I ordered the standard base-model Macbook (no upgrades) and other things like a mouse, case, DVI adapter, iPod nano directly from the Apple store. Everything is shipping tomorrow except the Macbook which has an estimated ship date of Sept 25, the day after their Apple's special event. Thats an 11 day delay, much longer than their quoted 5-7 day ship times... and I didn't even order any customizations so they should have one sitting on the shelf and ready to go.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

However, it's an Apple Service Centre, not an Apple Store. :D

13. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Plenty of people have been getting these kind of delays in MB. Back to school season has put a crunch on supply. Take a look around the forum, many, many, people expereinceing the same thing, some get their MB before the esitmated day.

14. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Damn you and your legal mumbo jumbo... :D ;)

15. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Still, if they keep a new, smaller nano secret, do you REALLY think they'd be loose with the facts at a service center? You do NOT keep secrets the way Apple does like that...

16. JMies419 macrumors 6502

If it is a back to school crunch issue than why are macbooks readily avaiable at apple stores but still have such a long wait from the apple website? This does not make much sense to me.

17. macaddicted macrumors regular

macaddicted

If it's like most other businesses on the web those are business days, not calendar days. If you ordered it today and it had a 7 business day wait that means that you have to wait through two weekends, or four calendar days, for eleven calendar days total.

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

whenever newbies tend to make posts about these things ,I tend to disregard them

19. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

That's perhaps not very charitable - 'Next Tuesday' posted in good faith - whereas most of us would take it with a grain of salt - there is no harm in posting it, nor it is a given that it's not based on some sort of 'fact'. Whilst this salesperson (like all of them) may not be on the 'need to know' Apple list - who is say where they got this info from?

Again, this rumour is highly unlikely, if this salesperson is indeed (unofficially through other channels) 'in the know' - they would hardly be able to share it.

But I feel everyone's opinion is valid - mac newbie or old'bie alike

20. generik macrumors 601

generik

Wiser words have never been spoken by a "regular".

<------------ Check out my rank!

21. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

so it's just me that desires an all inclusive society then...

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Whenever regulars tend to make posts about these things, I tend to disregard them. :p :cool:

Seriously, can't we all just get along? ;) We were all newbies at some point...

Oh, and for what it's worth, I have you all beat when it comes to rank... :p :cool:

23. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Yesterday the guy at my university's store told me that the MacBooks had just in the last day or two stopped coming in and Apple was estimating a good two weeks before they get new ones.

Regardless, I'm going to order my MacBook tonight, before the iPod deal ends on the 16th. If I get lucky maybe they'll ship me an upgraded model in two weeks, otherwise there's the 14 day money back period if they release a new model right after I get it...and if the MacBook update comes in October, oh well, I need it for school on the 20th, I'll be okay.

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Haha I'll give you that one.

Ok it's not as bad as he isn't like just a 1 time post newbie talking about new macbooks or anything. When it's like that, it will annoy me almost as much as the spammers lol

25. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Just a note on the Irish psyche.

Irish people can be quite loose lipped, secrets slip out quite easily (unless it's about your own money - then our lips are sealed tight as a fishes arse)

I believe the OP.