macbook update?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by breakfastcrew, Aug 7, 2006.

  1. breakfastcrew macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    #1
    What are the chances macbook will be updated before sept 16th?? I have my macbook right next to me should I open it now? Just wanna hear what some of you have to say.
     
  2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #2
    no one knows for sure, but i highly doubt it.

    most are of the mindset that the MBP will get merom first, while the MB will not, so as to increase the "gap" between the "pro" machine and the MB. about the only thing the MB might get is a speed bump, but I doubt even that would come before Sept 16... but really, nobody knows. I'd open your MB and enjoy - what's all this about buying and not using nowadays, anyway.. heh
     
  3. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

    ricgnzlzcr

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #3
    Doubt it. I predict the MBP's will get merom in September and then maybe in a month or two you'll see merom in the macbooks!
     
  4. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
  5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
  6. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

    Clydefrog

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Location:
    Pittsburgh,PA
    #6
    if you don't i will gladly take that macbook off your hands!
     
  7. extraextra macrumors 68000

    extraextra

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #7
    I wouldn't wait up over a "slight speedbump" if you already have it! Like, 1.83 -> 2.00 isn't really that big of a deal. Or waiting for Merom. Now, I'm waiting because I have the time and because I'm kind of hoping for new enclosures. And if there are new enclosures, and they look ugly, hey I can buy a refurb MBP for cheaper. Anyways. I would not be waiting if I had a MBP right next to me.

    Open it! Use it! Have fun!
     
  8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #8
    he has a MB, not a MBP. and the MBP will not get a new enclosure.. at least it won't veer from its Al.. the new Mac Pro's show that Apple isn't yet ready to ditch that look.. and if they change one of their "pro" computers..then they'd have to change them all.
     
  9. amac4me macrumors 65816

    amac4me

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2005
    #9
    The MacBook will probably be updated sometime in October in advance of the holiday shopping season.
     
  10. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    #10
    ok I am opening it. Going to kill somebody if it updates tomorrow :mad:
     
  11. Porscheboy16 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2006
    #11
    Ordering mine tonight, so I will feel the same way.

    How long do I have to cancel an online order if an update is announced tommorow?

    What I am getting:
    -2.0 ghz WhiteBook
    -80 Gig HD
    -2 Gig Ram (NOT APPLE!!!!)
     
  12. Jamesw macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2006
    #12
    If you have a problem call up the online store the next day. Say you want to cancel, cancel if there is a new update. If not, just said "I want to cancel" and they will give you in the area of $75-100 discount and even priority shipping if your lucky. This happened to me and many other members first hand, this is no joke :).
     
  13. macaddicted macrumors regular

    macaddicted

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Down on Copperline...
    #13
    Enjoy it. Even if it upgrades tomorrow. :D

    Computer hardware changes too quickly now. Even if you order it the day it debuts your computer will always be heading towards obsolescence.
     
  14. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    #14
    if I open it tonight (I brought it today) and they update it tommorrow (tuesday update) you think I can argue my way into an exchange?
     
  15. Porscheboy16 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2006
    #15
    For real?? If so, thanks for the tip. Anybody else have this happen?
     
  16. Porscheboy16 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2006
  17. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #17
    I doubt it. You're within your 14 days, though, so they couldn't deny you the option of returning it and getting your refund, but they WILL hit you with a 10% restocking fee if it's an opened box.
     
  18. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    #18
    thats bull there should be some update protection policy.....how do they know you open it anyways?? I can steam the sticker and peel it off without making a mess...u know
     
  19. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #19
    If you want to go to those extremes, then by all means go ahead. I'm sure you could get away with returning the used product, at least at first.. but they would be able to turn it on and see, or check that the serial had been registered (which is required to get to OS X). and if you paid for it with a credit card, it's still traceable back to you.

    if you're convinced that a new one is coming tomorrow, why not wait and see, then? Why try to "con" the system?
     
  20. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    #20
    I paid with a giftcard.....guess they will probably put my card number on hold or something for fooling around with them. Ok I will wait till tomorrow. GOD!! I was so intended to opening it tonight. I can't wait anymore this is driving me nuts I have been waiting since last october. hahahhaha
     
  21. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

    xfiftyfour

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2006
    Location:
    Clemson, SC
    #21
    I'd go ahead and open it. I highly doubt that the MBs will see an update tomorrow anyways.
     
  22. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    #22
    well no here is my little theory. The mbp got an update 3 months in. So tomorrow they are going to put merom in mpb and do a speedbump for macbooks.
     
  23. breakfastcrew thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2006
    #23
    well damn you apple thx for screwing with my mind. :mad:
     

Share This Page