Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
What are the chances macbook will be updated before sept 16th?? I have my macbook right next to me should I open it now? Just wanna hear what some of you have to say.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
no one knows for sure, but i highly doubt it.

most are of the mindset that the MBP will get merom first, while the MB will not, so as to increase the "gap" between the "pro" machine and the MB. about the only thing the MB might get is a speed bump, but I doubt even that would come before Sept 16... but really, nobody knows. I'd open your MB and enjoy - what's all this about buying and not using nowadays, anyway.. heh

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Doubt it. I predict the MBP's will get merom in September and then maybe in a month or two you'll see merom in the macbooks!

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
breakfastcrew said:
ok how about a slight speedbump???

I wouldn't wait up over a "slight speedbump" if you already have it! Like, 1.83 -> 2.00 isn't really that big of a deal. Or waiting for Merom. Now, I'm waiting because I have the time and because I'm kind of hoping for new enclosures. And if there are new enclosures, and they look ugly, hey I can buy a refurb MBP for cheaper. Anyways. I would not be waiting if I had a MBP right next to me.

Open it! Use it! Have fun!

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
he has a MB, not a MBP. and the MBP will not get a new enclosure.. at least it won't veer from its Al.. the new Mac Pro's show that Apple isn't yet ready to ditch that look.. and if they change one of their "pro" computers..then they'd have to change them all.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
The MacBook will probably be updated sometime in October in advance of the holiday shopping season.

Porscheboy16

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
breakfastcrew said:
ok I am opening it. Going to kill somebody if it updates tomorrow :mad:

Ordering mine tonight, so I will feel the same way.

How long do I have to cancel an online order if an update is announced tommorow?

What I am getting:
-2.0 ghz WhiteBook
-80 Gig HD
-2 Gig Ram (NOT APPLE!!!!)

Jamesw

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
Porscheboy16 said:
Ordering mine tonight, so I will feel the same way.

How long do I have to cancel an online order if an update is announced tommorow?

What I am getting:
-2.0 ghz WhiteBook
-80 Gig HD
-2 Gig Ram (NOT APPLE!!!!)
If you have a problem call up the online store the next day. Say you want to cancel, cancel if there is a new update. If not, just said "I want to cancel" and they will give you in the area of $75-100 discount and even priority shipping if your lucky. This happened to me and many other members first hand, this is no joke :).

macaddicted

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Down on Copperline...
breakfastcrew said:
ok I am opening it. Going to kill somebody if it updates tomorrow :mad:

Enjoy it. Even if it upgrades tomorrow. :D

Computer hardware changes too quickly now. Even if you order it the day it debuts your computer will always be heading towards obsolescence.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
if I open it tonight (I brought it today) and they update it tommorrow (tuesday update) you think I can argue my way into an exchange?

Porscheboy16

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2006
Jamesw said:
If you have a problem call up the online store the next day. Say you want to cancel, cancel if there is a new update. If not, just said "I want to cancel" and they will give you in the area of $75-100 discount and even priority shipping if your lucky. This happened to me and many other members first hand, this is no joke :).

For real?? If so, thanks for the tip. Anybody else have this happen?

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
breakfastcrew said:
if I open it tonight (I brought it today) and they update it tommorrow (tuesday update) you think I can argue my way into an exchange?
I doubt it. You're within your 14 days, though, so they couldn't deny you the option of returning it and getting your refund, but they WILL hit you with a 10% restocking fee if it's an opened box.

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
thats bull there should be some update protection policy.....how do they know you open it anyways?? I can steam the sticker and peel it off without making a mess...u know

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
breakfastcrew said:
thats bull there should be some update protection policy.....how do they know you open it anyways?? I can steam the sticker and peel it off without making a mess...u know
If you want to go to those extremes, then by all means go ahead. I'm sure you could get away with returning the used product, at least at first.. but they would be able to turn it on and see, or check that the serial had been registered (which is required to get to OS X). and if you paid for it with a credit card, it's still traceable back to you.

if you're convinced that a new one is coming tomorrow, why not wait and see, then? Why try to "con" the system?

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
I paid with a giftcard.....guess they will probably put my card number on hold or something for fooling around with them. Ok I will wait till tomorrow. GOD!! I was so intended to opening it tonight. I can't wait anymore this is driving me nuts I have been waiting since last october. hahahhaha

breakfastcrew

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2006
well no here is my little theory. The mbp got an update 3 months in. So tomorrow they are going to put merom in mpb and do a speedbump for macbooks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.