MacBook Updates at Photokina or within September

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Machead III, Sep 16, 2006.

  1. Machead III macrumors 6502

    Machead III

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2002
    Location:
    UK, France
    #1
    So, what are the chances of a) Apple updating the MacBook (not just Pro) line on the event preceding Photokina on the 25th, or b) updating the MacBooks at any point, for example on a Tuesday, within the month of September?

    Secondly, is there any chance the so-called "thin" or "Gamer's Dream" MacBooks will surface this month/year/millennium?

    Due to various student discounts, Apple promotions and whatnot, I, along with may others, must purchase a MacBook very soon, so if anyone thinks they have a good idea at all about when we could see updates it would be greatly appreciated.
     
  2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

    Kardashian

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2005
    Location:
    Britain.
    #2
    I actually have to get a MacBook by the end of this month for School.

    I'm hoping and praying they're updated in time.. so I'm not outdated as soon as I buy.
     
  3. apachie2k macrumors 6502

    apachie2k

    Joined:
    May 23, 2006
    Location:
    was NYC...now MIAMI
  4. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #4
    Just go ahead and get it RIGHT NOW to take advantage of the free iPod promo if you can... a $179 rebate on a $1299 notebook is HUGE. Merom is NOT. It will be your loss to miss out on it for the sake of an update that might not be forthcoming.
     
  5. clevin macrumors G3

    clevin

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2006
    #5
    this is getting worse, people is now in a strange psycho mode. This is how apple destroy our next generation........ :D
     
  6. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #6
    This is plain silly, I will take a Macbook with the free iPod *anyday*

    People are fussing over the MBP because THAT is overpriced and underspeced to start with, but the Macbooks are pretty good value IMHO.
     
  7. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

    Machead III

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2002
    Location:
    UK, France
    #7
    The iPod rebate deal continues until the 7th of October here in the UK.

    Wonder what that means...
     
  8. HecubusPro macrumors 6502a

    HecubusPro

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #8
    It means you can wait longer. :) Seriously, just get what you need.

    Who knows what apple's going to do with the MB. We have a strong rumor that the MBP will be updated by the time Photokina starts, but that doesn't make it true either.

    I would say just wait until you can't wait anymore and get the macbook with the ipod offer. You're still going to have a great computer that's going to last years, as well as a an ipod.
     
  9. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

    Machead III

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2002
    Location:
    UK, France
    #9
    The thought of buying a computer that is potentially just days away from being updated is driving me nuts though. As an investment, it means that I am losing maybe as much as £150 from the value of the product in just a matter of days or weeks.
     
  10. HecubusPro macrumors 6502a

    HecubusPro

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #10
    Then you're between a rock and a hard place. Others have stated that we'll see MB's with C2D by Thanksgiving here in the U.S. (late November.) Whether that means next week or the week before Thanksgiving we of course just don't know.

    Here's my final recommendation, coupled with what I said previously--buy your Macbook, get the free iPod deal, and never, EVER come back to this site again until you're possibly ready to buy another computer in a few years. Don't visit the Apple site for at least six months (except for support, so just bookmark that page only.) The less you know about the next upgrade, the better off you and your sanity will be.:)
     
  11. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

    madmax_2069

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2005
    Location:
    Springfield Ohio
  12. vega07 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #12
    I wholeheartedly agree and will take on this plan of action. :D
     
  13. Virtualball macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2006
    #13
    I have a very reliable tip that the MBP's will get upgraded and the MB's won't. Wanna know who that tip was from? My common sense. :)

    Seriously, for a mac laptop, the MB is amazingly priced and amzingly spec'd. Its already too close to the MBP (I mean TOO cloces to the MBP) and Apple must be losing money by making the MBP. The only logical thought would be that it would upgrade the MBP.
     
  14. Nooon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2004
    #14
    Well, Apple could still update the MB without switching it over to C2D. Speed-bump, better GPU or just a prize drop.
     
  15. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

    Clydefrog

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Location:
    Pittsburgh,PA
    #15
    price drop!, macbooks are already a fabulous value! But i think they will just bump up the speeds in the macbooks
     
  16. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

    Machead III

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2002
    Location:
    UK, France
    #16
    I'll wait until the 26th then I'll just go ahead and buy. If there are updates within 14 days of that I'll get it refunded and buy the new one. If there are update after 14 days I'll join the Manson Family and go on a killing spree.
     
  17. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2002
    #17
    Actually, from a hardware only standpoint, macbooks are not particularly good values anymore compared with the raft of c2d laptops recently announced by all the PC manufacturers. They used to be, when pc laptops were all cd. Whether Apple chooses to compete with this - from a price/component standpoint - or not is another question of course.

    I'm of the opinion that they will, and that we'll see c2d macbooks in time for the holiday season if not much sooner. My guess is that when c2d chips are shipping en masse Apple will make the announcement.

    My $.02

    TM
     
  18. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

    iJawn108

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2006
    #18
    If the new MBPs are not out at or around this photokina event I am just going to buy a 17 inch iMac.
     
  19. HecubusPro macrumors 6502a

    HecubusPro

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #19
    The other manufacturers are still only putting C2D into their higher end machines, leaving their lower end offerings relatively untouched, keeping core duo as the processor. There aren't many lower end/entry level notebooks from other companies with Core 2 Duo in them yet. If they do offer if, adding the C2D increases the price significantly (even though prices for yonha and merom are supposed to be the same) taking it out of the range of the macbook price-wise, and they don't offer the 2.33GHz option.

    So apple is still very competitive with the macbook. For what one gets, the macbooks are still a great buy, comparable or better than anything else out there at the same range.
     
  20. Machead III thread starter macrumors 6502

    Machead III

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2002
    Location:
    UK, France
    #20
    Um, there are C2Ds in every desktop, laptop, tablet and their mother now. Both consumer and pro. Some of them shipping already. The PC world has more or less completed a total transition already, so far all we got is iMacs.
     
  21. HecubusPro macrumors 6502a

    HecubusPro

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #21
    I made sure to research what I wrote before I posted it. I went to dell's and hp's site, and both had lower end notebooks that didn't offer anything but core duo, and some notebooks that offered c2d as an upgrade at a considerably higher price. Maybe that's just here in the U.S., but it's true.
     
  22. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #22
    That's quite far from the truth actually, there are still PC laptops out there with the old Dothan (or Dorthan... whatever!) chips in them, talk about old indeed!
     
  23. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2002
    #23

    If you looked at their websites to see what they are selling *now* then you went to the wrong place. Check their news sections, press releases, and coverage of same in places like engadget and gizmodo. You'll see that top to bottom pretty much everyone has announced c2d chips in their laptop range. They'll be selling them actively as mass-ship dates approach (which is any day now...)

    To be clear - this is not to say that they don't also offer cd and even old fashioned pentiums and pentium m's (and will likely continue to do so to some extent) but the point is they will soon offer c2d all over the spectrum, including laptops which are very much price/feature competitive to the macbook - except for the inclusion of the c2d.

    Seriously - if you guys were paying close attention to the announcements then you'd see this clear as day.

    TM
     
  24. bearbo macrumors 68000

    bearbo

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    #24
    are you gonna buy one and not open it? if you open it there will be restocking fee for 15% (at least in US), which means, in the 200 range for macbook, and 300 for macbook pro... is that the price you are gonna pay for merom over yonah?

    i bought mine during tax free, that was like 300 less than what i would have, and that was not the price i'm willing to pay for merom
     
  25. HecubusPro macrumors 6502a

    HecubusPro

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2006
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #25
    I doubt all notebooks are going to use C2D. As you point out, some will use other processors.

    What you can purchase at this moment on those sites is what I was referring to. Not what's coming down the pipe sooner or later. We haven't reached a "total transition" as was mentioned in a previous post.
     

Share This Page