MacBook uptime

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LeggNet, Jun 12, 2006.

1. LeggNet macrumors newbie

I'm a recent switcher from Windows to a MacBook. Like many MB users, I was interested in monitoring the temperature so I installed CoreDuoTemp (great little program!). Tonight I noticed that, in addition to temperature, the program provides a running total of uptime.

Cool.

As I write this my uptime is 4 days, eight hours and eighteen minutes. I rarely turn it off or re-boot. What really struck me with this statistic is the stability of MacOS. There is no way I could have done this with my Windows machine. It would have slowed to a crawl long before the four day mark, yet my Mac still runs as if I just booted it up.

Just an observation.....

Rich

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

My uptime record on my iBook is 31 days. There are people here with older systems that have uptimes in the hundreds of days.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

with my ibook my uptime used to be epic, sometimes reaching hundreds of days, now with my macbook due to dual booting it's never more than a couple....

still my lc475 keeps the epic record of running for over 5 years non stop under my bed.

4. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

the only time i restart is becuase of a new piece of software for a printer or a software update.

PS. Apple could you PLEASE stop making updates that need a restart

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Restarting is one of the best troubleshooting techniques that OSX has to offer. Having said that, I don't need to restart either of my Mac very often but have no qualms doing so if something starts acting strangely or slowly. Maintaining uptime for uptime's sake is ridiculous. :)

6. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

I hacked my iBook so I put it in Safe Sleep and hibernation mode... always on. :)

7. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

My dad's imac G5 has been on 24/7, since he first bought it, with only the occasional restart once in a while after a software update.