Macbook users: Does FireFox make your system HOT?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wako, Jun 17, 2006.

1. wako macrumors 65816

Well I downloaded Firefox today, after getting it yesterday, and the system is INCREDIBILY HOT when I use it.

When I use Safari, according to CoreDuoTemp, CPU Usage is at ~7% and at 53 centigrade.

When i use Firefox CPU Usage is always more than 45% even if Im not doing anything and the Temperature is 65+ centigrade.

Anyone else getting these type of problems?

2. wxboss macrumors member

wxboss

I love FF (used it with Windows and Tiger), but it's prone to problems (hangs, crashes). I've encountered this on boths OSs.

I use either Safari or Camino. I like Camino better than FF.

3. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

ummm........ k.....

so do you have a macbook or pro? does it make your system hot?

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Try holding down the mouse button in the blank space of a website for a while. Then check your stats after about a minute

5. mike.b macrumors newbie

mike.b

sometimes...FF makes the cpu run very intense. this happens mostly on flash sites. don't know why is doing this, but i had the same problem on the PC.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Use Flashblock (or Adblock Plus if you're on Bon Echo) to filter out all flash contents and Firefox should run as cool as ice... ;)

7. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess im going to stick with Safari until that problem is fixed. It never happened on my PB =/

8. Rovman macrumors regular

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Since Camino is using the same plug-in, that'll just place the blame on Camino instead of Firefox. :p

10. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

11. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Wow, I didn't know about this. It reports CPU usage at 99%. Thank goodness I use Camino & Safari, then. :)

EDIT: Whoops, typo.

12. Jollins macrumors regular

Jollins

Wow maybe it does and I never noticed until I read this thread.

In firefox when I hold the mouse button down anywhere on a webpage the CPU usage for core #2 shoots up to 60-100%, and when I release it the usage goes back down to its normal <20% level.

Any other macbook people having the same thing happen?

13. wxboss macrumors member

wxboss

I have an MB. I haven't really used FF too much on my MB as it causes one too many hangs and crashes on my Mini. I stick with Camino and will sometimes rotate to Safari.

I'm not sure about the actual CPU usage, but I never noticed my MB running any warmer with FF than with Safari or Camino. The temps according to TempDuo read about the same.

14. mrweirdo macrumors 6502

odly enough I have noticed a similar issue on my desktop pc were loading a page in firefox with lots of images places a large load on the cpu.
    btw I have an athlon xp chip. Quite posibly some sort of a bug firefox has with images and or heavy gfx sites.

It seems to me like firefox has been geting more buggier or resource hoging lately. Not good as I used to love firefox and now not so much :/

15. daveaudio macrumors newbie

I use Firefox on my Macbook , no problems, cpu's are running around 67-69c.

White 1.83 2 gig ram

16. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah... turn off FireFox and you will see your CPU temp dip down to the 50s :eek:

17. howesey macrumors 6502a

It was fixed two months ago, should be in the newer version of Firefox.

It has been around since Netscape. Quite a few other carbon apps do it also.

18. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I actually just noticed this today. Firefox is pounding on my Core Duo, even when it is apparently idel. I am also wonder if the Google synchro-extension has anything to do with this.

Very strange.

NB: My Firefox is the latest version.

19. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I love Firefox, and much prefer it to Safari when browsing, but I have noticed that my Macbook's been getting very warm even with nothing going on. Never would have thought to check if it was FF being naughty. I began using it essentially as soon as I got the Macbook, so I haven't compared it to Safari with respect to CPU usage and heat generation.

20. wako thread starter macrumors 65816

Ironically I find that FF seems to use atleast 15% CPU usage even when it is doing nothing but sitting on Google's webpage and hits temperatures in the mid 60s Celcius. When I run the terminal command yes > /dev/null which utilizes one of the core 100% (50% for the entire system) it also hits just in the mid 60s...

21. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I just downloaded Opera 9 to see if it makes any sort of difference.

Nice browser, btw.

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

What's up with everybody's "Firefoxes", as long as I stay away from Flash-contents my Bon Echo (aka Firefox 2.0 alpha) stays between 1% and 2% when "idle" with a couple of tabs open and some animated gifs running on my MacBook. That's less than Activity Monitor:

Picture 2.jpg

Ok, this is more than Firefox 1.5.0.4 on my iBook G4, which idles well under 1%, but it's still nowhere near what you guys are talking about... :confused:

Seriously, get real! :rolleyes:

And get Flashblock! ;)

23. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

i use firefox and my macbook seems to cope with it fine.

24. bbrosemer macrumors 6502a

bbrosemer

Are you sure that you dont somehow have it running under Rosetta?

25. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Firefox version 1.5.0.4 on PowerPC holding the mouse button (why would someone do this anyway?) produces at maximum 2 % CPU usage.