MacBook v. MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by flalaw, Oct 3, 2006.

  1. flalaw macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    United States
    #1
    First of all, I'm sorry if there are already threads on this (I think I've seen them too). I tried searching a few times and couldn't come up w/ anything.

    Well, I NEED a new notebook within the next three weeks. At first I was set on getting a MBP when they get the merom update. Now that I think about it though, I'd prefer to get one that incorporates santa rosa since it seems like a much more major update.

    Soooo....what I'm thinking about doing is getting a black MacBook to hold me over for the next 6 months or so, and then ebaying it and buying the new MPB. Is it pretty similar in speed to the MBP when dealing with everyday stuff like web browsing, etc.? Also, should I consider upgrading the ram since it has only 512 megs?
     
  2. Pressure macrumors 68040

    Pressure

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Denmark
    #2
    It seems like a fine decision.

    They are pretty much on par with everything except graphic related applications.

    I would strongly advise you to get at least 1GB of ram :)
     
  3. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    #3
    Yes, as long as you aren't doing anything with heavy graphics.


    YES. I would get the 2x512 option then, if you want to later, buy 1 1GB chip giving you a total of 1.5GB. If you buy a MBP later, they might still be using the same type of RAM then you can take it out and keep it when you sell the MB.
     
  4. prady16 macrumors 6502

    prady16

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Location:
    Right There --->
    #4
    I am in the exact same situation.
    I was all set on buying the low end MBP with the Merom update, but that is taking forever. And with sudden shortage of cash even i was considering buying the 2GHz white MacBook.
    But i would get the standard configuration without any BTO options and then buy 2x1GB RAM from some other store and slip it into the macbook. That way it works out cheaper than buying the low end MBP and will have more memory than the MBP too. The only drawback is the smaller screen and lack of graphics card, which i don't think would affect me much since i am going to be using it basically for surfing, music and lot of movies (bit torrent rocks!).
     
  5. prady16 macrumors 6502

    prady16

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Location:
    Right There --->
    #5
    Would you consider watching a lot of movies and constant use of iPhoto and iChat on the MacBook heavy graphics? Just a question.
     
  6. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    #6
    No. Up the RAM and you will be fine.
     
  7. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    United States
    #7
    I will prolly be doing some movie watching or iMovie creating. Not a whole lot but from time to time. Is it particulary slow in any of those two fields?
     
  8. flalaw thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    United States
    #8
    What would you suggest I do w/ the RAM since it comes standard w/ two 256 chips? Is it cheapest to buy online and do it myself, ebaying the extra chip? Or should I just BTO it straight from apple?
     
  9. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2006
    #9
    You could upgrade to the 2x512 option, it is $100 from Apple. That might be enough RAM.
     
  10. prady16 macrumors 6502

    prady16

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2006
    Location:
    Right There --->
    #10
    If you are looking to save money, why not go for a white macbook and buy 2x1GB RAM sticks? Both cost efficient and superior! I personally prefer the way white macbook looks rather than black. Also i have read a lot about the shine on the black macbook due to regular use!
     
  11. deebster macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2004
    Location:
    Olde Englande
    #11
    Buying RAM from Apple is usually much more expensive.

    Bear in mind too that when you BTO you are likely losing one or both of the 256 chips that would ordinarily be in there. In other words, going from 2 x 256 to 1 x 1GB you would be paying the premium for an extra 512MB.

    Weigh that up against the 3rd party cost for 1GB, less what you could flog the stock chips for. Some say you should keep them though, just in case you have to return your Mac, which is worth thinking about.

    I would get stock RAM and buy an extra 1GB from somewhere. Replace one of the 256 chips with that and keep it in case your baby has to return to the mothership for any reason.

    One other consideration I would have is if the price of the black MB comes down to closer or even equal to the white one you are gonna lose out on resale value. Even though it is undoubtedly a sexy mofo, if it's only for 6 months or so I'd stick with the whitey just in case.

    **edit

    Pah! Beaten to it :)
     
  12. Boxer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2006
    Location:
    Overland Park Kansas
    #12
    Either way you wont be upset. Unless you get a defective product. Like my first MBP. But there are plenty of people who got MINT ones on the first try. I love my MBP. I wouldnt trade it for anything. Unless Merom or the next best thing is SIGNIFIGANTLY better in performance and or looks then I will stick with the current one. I love it. Yes you may get a bad one but as long as its under waranty or you have apple care they will fix you right up. Like they did me. And I'm still a happy Apple customer.

    Or you could get the Black Macbook like you are saying and wait. The Macbook itself is a solid piece of equipment and it is a very nice looking machine.
     
  13. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Laguna Beach
    #13
    I say do it unless you can wait a little bit, because apple has to update their notebooks before the end of the year because Core Duo 2 is starting to show up in a lot of notebooks now and its time for apple to fight back. So if you do some more research and see when updates are likely you could get a Core Duo macbook for cheap or get a Core Duo 2 and be ahead of the game, and you never know they might even give you 512mb standard as one chip which would be soooooooo much better cause that whole same ram 2 chips better performance is seriously peanuts in reality.
     
  14. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

    Mac'Mo

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2006
    Location:
    NYC
    #14
    i personally would prefer the compactibility of hte 13 inch macbook but i dont like white or black for a laptop so i'm getting the macbook pro cuz its silver...yeah thats pretty superficial but w/e.
     

Share This Page