Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I just had delivered two computers: A Macbook and an IBM Thinkpad X41 Tablet. I was thinking of testing them in their stock configurations and maybe posting a few findings and maybe a video or two.
If anyone is interested in any particular test, note it here. I'll publish the results to:
http://web.mac.com/leskern/iWeb/Site/SmackDown.html
(pics later of course)

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
UK
gee... this is kind of sad, but i was hoping that this was some kind of crazy impact test, to see which one breaks...

admitedly, i'd like too see the results of such a test, it'd be good to have a little peiceo f mind in the "oops i just knocked it off my desk/bed/coffee table" department

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
The IBM is a touch screen which should be noted

The only thing the IBM has is its 4Lbs.(and its a TouchScreen) I'd love to see a 12''MacBook like that! or an 11''

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
So, do you like your X41? When I was evaluating which tablet PC I would buy, I considered X41 as well. But, I opted for Fujitsu because of additional features in one package.

I heard X41 has some isssues with the hard drive. I read some problems on the tablet PC forum (tablet PC buzz).

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
YS2003 said:
So, do you like your X41? When I was evaluating which tablet PC I would buy, I considered X41 as well. But, I opted for Fujitsu because of additional features in one package.

I heard X41 has some isssues with the hard drive. I read some problems on the tablet PC forum (tablet PC buzz).

I'm new to the X41, but had an HP a few years ago. It was less than usefull then. I wanted another look. I ALMOST got the Fujitsu, but the price point was a just bit too high for the extras... at least in my opinion. Mine ran just under 2K, no optical drive or much of anything included.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Counterfit said:
I don't see how you can fairly compare these. Wouldn't the Core Duo spank the Pentium M in everything except battery life?

I "guess", but time will tell. The problem is I have not loaded Photoshop or anything on them, so I'm still deciding on speed tests. And THERE'S the rub really: The X41 cost about $500.00 more than the Mac. That's a LOT to overcome.

DevilsRejection

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2006
Why bother? We aren't dumb, it's obvious which notebook is going to be faster. The MacBook.

Faster hard drive, extra core, more mhz, GMA 950 versus 900. What are you going to tell us that we don't already know?

The X41T isn't a performance rig, never was meant to be. I have an X40 and I underclock mine to 300 MHz. Yes you heard me 300 MHz.

More, hell plenty, of power to run Word, Firefox, and AIM. It's 2 years old and I still get 7+ hours of battery life. When I first got her I often got over 10 hours.

The MacBook is an Mac Mini in a laptop body.

So please, humour me, what are you going to tell me, tell us, that we don't already know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.