Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exist2Inspire

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Is there anywhere which lists the complete specs side-by-side so I can compare them? I would also like to know your advice? I wont actually be buying untill around Easter '07. Thinking about it, I would not need the extra HDD space in the iMac, and the graphics are not a big issue to me. The portability of a MacBook could also prove useful in the future, seeing as I may persue a media/designing course next year.

P.S. The MacBook i'm looking at is the lower-end 1.83 GHz one.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Things will change a lot by April '07, so I'd wait and ask then.

Still, the following is a given: a desktop will provide more screen real estate, more storage, and more power for the same price, as well as always-on capability if you want to use it as a web/disk/whattever server. A laptop will provide portability at the cost of the desktop's advantages. Only you can decide which is best for you.

Exist2Inspire

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Screen size I'm not bothered about necessarily. I would consider upgrading the RAM and HDD in the future as the prices aren't bad. Has anyone had the same decision as I? What did you choose?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
The MacBook is a great laptop. But the iMac is a superior computer for the same money, so you need to decide whether the portability is priority #1. If it is, obviously the MacBook is the way to go. Otherwise, the iMac is the better buy.

Exist2Inspire

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
When thinking to the future, MacBook would be a good choice. Especially considering HD's and RAM is very well priced if I want to upgrade! Then it would be the same specs as an iMac (just for a little more) providing that the MacBook would be C2D at the time of purchase.

BSME

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
Screen size I'm not bothered about necessarily. I would consider upgrading the RAM and HDD in the future as the prices aren't bad. Has anyone had the same decision as I? What did you choose?

i got the MacBook base model with 2GB ram over the iMac.

i'm a student and the portability was important to me. once i get to engineeering classes where i might make use of the graphics i aim to get an iMac, but that's down the road.

as a base model, this is the nicest computer i've ever owned, and i can play warcraft III no problem, so that keeps me happy...

ironjaw

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2006
Cold Copenhagen
i got the MacBook base model with 2GB ram over the iMac.

i'm a student and the portability was important to me. once i get to engineeering classes where i might make use of the graphics i aim to get an iMac, but that's down the road.

as a base model, this is the nicest computer i've ever owned, and i can play warcraft III no problem, so that keeps me happy...

what are you studying?

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
I too have been debating between the portability of the MBP vs. what appears to be a stronger/faster and less problematic iMac, for the same amount of money. So, I like what Lord Blackadder put in his post. I'd like to acquire both [as lasuther said]... :p

Exist2Inspire

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2006
Wow! I would love to be able to afford both!! Unfortunately i'm barely able to afford the one!

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I now have both an ibook and imac, but I started out like you; wondering what to get?
I decided to get the laptop and was very happy with that desicion, and here´s why:

Portabillity was great for me, I didn´t have an internet conection at home at the time so I just took my ibook to a cafe or the library to get online.

I didn´t need the computing power of the imac in the begining (I do now)

It lasted me almost 2 years before I felt the need of a more powerfull computer, let´s face it; many of us use low intensitive apps most of the time. We just think we need all the power and speed of top end products.

So I recomend the MB, then a few years from now, get an imac. Then you can still use your laptop for basic tasks, and you will have the joy of something really fast and powerfull with a big screen at your hands.@

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.