Macbook vs Macbook Pro - how to justify price difference.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by heggie2000, Mar 8, 2007.

1. heggie2000 macrumors newbie

Guys, having a hard time justifying a price difference. Ultimately this laptop will be used with an ACD, both can take up to 2gb ram, both have same processor. It won't be used for games, help make my mind up please!

2. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

If you're not going to game on it, then go for the MacBook or BlackBook.

EDIT: The MBP can take 3GB of Ram

3. snowmoon macrumors 6502a

snowmoon

MBP pro's over MB

1) Bigger, higher resolution screen when not hooked up to ACD

2) Low end MBP comes with 1x 1g for easy upgrading ( no need to sell 2x512 )

3) Dedicated video card that support pixel shaders ( Core Image / Core Video ) this is more important for leopard and resolution independent UI stuff coming down from apple.

4) Bigger stock HD

5) Apple "pro" tools officially supported ( although most will run on MB ).

6) Faster CPU

How's that for a start?

4. CEAbiscuit macrumors 6502a

CEAbiscuit

I know the Macbook will work with the 23 ACD, but it's not suported by the 30. If you are thinking of the 30, there's your answer.

5. heggie2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

k guys, thanks for the info, when you see it in black and white i guess theres only 1 answer !

6. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

Well obviously if you think about it. They use the same chipsets. Rev A. MB and MBP's couldn't

7. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Also don't forget the backlit keyboard, one of the things I would never want to give up again.
    Or the FW800 port, etc. There are many things that I couldn't live without anymore. But whether they are worth the price for you, that only you can decide. :)

8. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Save your money and get a macbook, you don't really have any justification for a MBP.

9. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Although, the MacBook Pro looks a whole lot better, for me, that is justification enough.:rolleyes:

10. diehldun macrumors 6502a

sadly, that's why I'm getting a MBP over a MB this summer... :eek:

11. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

You are going to be wasting your money if you don't do heavy gaming. Buy a MacBook instead and save your money on a MacBook.

12. bzgnyc macrumors newbie

MacBook is fine, MacBook Pro is better

I just bought a MacBook (all 2s: Core 2 Duo @ 2GHz w/2GB RAM) and it is fine. However, this replaced PowerBook G4 15" (Al) and I miss some of the Pro features. I planned to wait until Apple came out with an ultralight (e.g. sub 4lbs) and/or something better than GMA950 graphics (that still ran cooler than my PowerBook). The MacBook Pro isn't exactly what I wanted, so decided not put out that kind of money and bought the MacBook instead.

The processors on the MacBook and the MacBook Pro are similar enough that I doubt you'll tell the difference (especially if you get the 2GHz chips which have 4MB of L2 cache). Maybe you'll measure a 5% difference but even then it will be close to noise. There might be a little bigger standard hard drive on the MacBook Pro but Apple's price to upgrade the hard drive in either case is much to high. I plan to just replace the hard drive when the high-speed 160's or 200's come out. The wireless on the MacBook is good -- probably the same or similar to the MacBook Pro. I miss the larger screen of the 15" but I like the smaller overall size. I am sure the DVD writers are the same or similar. Both models have two USB2.0 and 1 FireWire 400. I am sure the FireWire 800 on the MacBook Pro is useful to some people but I didn't use it once in 3+ years on my PowerBook.

The downside to the MacBook is the consumer quality feel. The keyboard is not as good and kind of Playschool feeling. I prefer the metal case over the white plastic. I miss the backlit keyboard even though I never used it. Having to have a dongle for DVI is annoying. The GMA950's rendering is not as good as an ATI chip. Its faster than many predicted but I notice jagged lines and text that isn't as smooth.

However, I've never felt the interface was hindered by the lack of a good graphics chip. The desktop runs smooth and things like H.264 playback are much faster on this thing than they were on my PowerBook.

I am sure its OpenGL performance is not as good as the MacBook Pro's but I stopped playing games years ago and no longer do scientific visualization (and even then the GMA950 mated with the Core2 Duo is probably faster for OpenGL than the SGIs we used many years ago). Maybe it isn't a 100% hardware solution like the ATI, but Quartz Extreme and Core Image are supported according System Profiler.

I am sure this machine will go obsolete faster than the MacBook Pro but I honestly doubt that MacOS X 10.5 will make recent MacBook purchasers regret their decision.

13. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

BZG--

Thank you for a well-balanced consideration of the differences between the MB and MBP. Strong work!

Bob

14. jaduffy108 macrumors 6502a

### I think the Macbook is a MUCH better value than the MBP. *If* Apple upgrades the MB with the 3000 integrated graphics chip (and of course they will)...then the MB will be a kicka$$ bargain. Since I need more "real estate" on the go (17") and do a lot of 3d gfx...I will be buying the MBP....paying big dollars for the limited improvemnets it provides. Then again, maybe I should reconsider :)

Get the MB.

15. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

16. heggie2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, bzgnyc that was a good post, I really don't know what to do, as when i'll be using this in a professional capacity it will be hooked up to a ACD ! still dont know aaarrrgggghhhhh!

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When you say "professional capacity", what applications are you talking about?

Generally if the applications are not GPU bound, you shouldn't need the MacBook Pro.

And if you are going to be traveling a lot, even if the Pro is a "nice to have, but really don't need it" the MacBook is a lot more rugged due to the plastic case.

If you drop the MacBook Pro, you can very easily run into a $500-1000 repair bill in situations the MacBook would only get scratched.

18. heggie2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

graphic design, so indesign, illustrator, quark, photoshop etc. I would like a laptop to be able to bring work home with me.

19. infz macrumors member

infz

Has anyone tried this? Is there a hardware cap somewhere that blocks it, or would it actually just work??

20. kimnkk macrumors member

kimnkk

I had to make the same choice a few weeks ago.

In my case, i couldn't justify the Pro even though it looked a lot better. I had no need for FireWire 800 (i dont even use Firewire, my external HDDs are E-SATA), backlit keyboard (i don't need to look at the keyboard to type) or PC Express slot.

What i did appreciate was the higher resolution screen, although i would be expecting 1680x1050 on the 15", as most other brands have at least that.

I didn't plan on using the laptop for anything more than word and internet browsing - i have my desktop with a 27" Dell for all my CAD needs.

I almost went with the Pro simply because it looked better but at the last minute i switched to the Macbook - whether or not that is worth it for you, is up to you.

21. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I read somewhere that someone tried 3GB in the original MBP and it didn't work. Don't know about the newer MB though.

22. heggie2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey tbi, i'm irish too, you selling your monitor?

23. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Maybe, depends where you're from and what price you are offering.

24. heggie2000 thread starter macrumors newbie

hehe, well what you wanting? for say the monitor on its own, and the macbook & monitor? I have a 2007fpw which I bought new for 395 in january.

25. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well it originally cost me about 800 so I think i'd prefer to sell it to someone who doesn't know that much about prices :). I'm hoping to get about 350 for it, but probably get 400 off someone who doesn't know much. It does retail for over 500 when it doesn't have the discount.

The laptop is fully kitted out so i'd be looking for about 1,200 for it.

Would probably let them both go for 1500 together.